Wheel offset problem? Any solutions?

plyer3
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ok, my first upgrade with wheels and tires have gone a bit complicated.

I recently bought a set of Eibach shocks/struts and lowering springs for my Accord. This tire and automotive shop was going to put them on and I asked if they have any good deals on a set of 18 wheels and tires. They found me a set of 18 wheels that matched the color of my silver accord and included brand new tires. I bought the 18 wheels and tires from them and they installed everything. All i needed was an alignment which they didn't have a machine for so i went to pepboys to get one.

pepboys then told me that my camber links would need to be replaced because my rear tires would not sit straight, kinda like / \ angle.

so i bought some new eibach camber links and this shop was going to install them, but then they told me the wheels i have are not the right type for my accord. the offset is wrong and my wheels stick out, they doesn't sit inside flushed. i can tell they stick out.

the real problem is my rear tires which make contact with the frame, the front seems to be ok as it's not as lowered. the springs were rated 1.5" drop for both front and rear.

the tire shop already trimmed off a bit of the frame above the tires so they won't make contact.

i really like the wheels, but the offset is probably not for my car. i kinda bought the wheels and tires off the table for cheap brand new, they are the motegi mr2 18s silver and the tires are 225/40zr18.

where is the offset? i checked the wheels as i took them off and replaced with stock. it says 18x8 in the rear of the wheels.

sorry for the long story, but what do you guys think would be the best option? get different set of wheels? i'm bringing it back to the shop monday and they said they'll look at it.

Get your money back, spend the money productively on doing it right. No way I'm letting a shop cut any part of my car to make something fit so they can make a buck. Offset is typically printed near the wheel size. Should be [+ or -][two digit number] usually in mm. Offset makes all the difference. I went from 16x6.5 with 42mm offset and 225/50/16 stock on my car to 18x7.5 with 40mm offset and 225/40/18's, lowered 1.5" all around on Eibach's myself with no issues. Had I gotten something with a 35ish offset, I'd be rubbing. All dependent on the car. Not sure if you're a member of an Accord forum or not but I'd def check one out as you'll likely find out what your limitations are in this regard

**** welcome to the world of hondas im going 16x8 with 20mm offset, its called camber bro, thats how you look cool, no one ripped you off so just rock it man.

But seriusly on to your real problem, they sold you low offset wheels, now when you say the cut your frame to u mean the actual frame rails or the fender wells? if so get your fenders rolled itll fix it.

i meant fender wells, they just rolled it a bit up. i will look at the spokes for the offset tomorrow when i get out of school. i love the wheels but if the rear keeps giving me problems then i'll just have to get ones with different offset.

Ok, they clearly don't state the + and - signs so dunno where the offset size is really.

Says MR-2440 18x8J

SAE J2530

the other numbers don't seem like offset numbers.

i'm gonna take it to this shop and see if they know it and if rolling the fenders will fix the rear rub.

rolling and pulling fenders will def fix it, you can easily calculate offset yourself.... mid point is 4", so take wheel off and measure the backspace from the edge to hub, translate to mm, subtract 4" in mm which should be 100mm

rolling and pulling fenders will def fix it, you can easily calculate offset yourself.... mid point is 4", so take wheel off and measure the backspace from the edge to hub, translate to mm, subtract 4" in mm which should be 100mm
Thank you, I'm actually waiting at the tire shop right now for them to put cambers and look at rear.

positive or negative camber angle is bad for the tires.
i've been told that some negative camber will not significantly wear out the tire as fast, but i'm guessing it's bad for the tires either way. if rolling the fender will not fix the issue then i'll just get different wheels and tires.

my rear sits lower than my front right now too, didn't think that 100lb of car audio would lower it that much unless it's supposed to be normal like that.

i align hondas all the time. you can get away with up to +/-.5deg front camber. I'd go with a adjustable balljoint for the front and make them hit smack dab 0deg. For the rear, they sell adjustable rear upper arms that allow up to 3deg camber change. i'd go for 1.5deg rear. make sure when you get it aligned, get a printout and see if they did it right.

As for your wheels, no changing offset with a wheel. Only way to do it is to use a spacer, but you already have a stick out problem. Get new rims man, or there will be probs in the future.

i align hondas all the time. you can get away with up to +/-.5deg front camber. I'd go with a adjustable balljoint for the front and make them hit smack dab 0deg. For the rear, they sell adjustable rear upper arms that allow up to 3deg camber change. i'd go for 1.5deg rear. make sure when you get it aligned, get a printout and see if they did it right.
As for your wheels, no changing offset with a wheel. Only way to do it is to use a spacer, but you already have a stick out problem. Get new rims man, or there will be probs in the future.
the spacers fixed the rear rubbing issue. it raised it up by a tiny bit but no rubbing since then. i may even add another set to raise it up a bit more to match the front.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.