which 8" inch sub is best for bandpass ???

10+ year member

hey guys im looking to get a single 8"inch sub woofer for a custom bandpass.

i dont know whats really out there. looking for a very good quality woofer and wont break the bank like a JL W7 8"inch.

so now crazy priced brands please.

i only currently know of alpine type R, cerwin vega, and digital design.

im not even sure which would be great for a band pass. also looking for 2 ohm DVC version.

i do kinda like the cerwin vega cause the price seems great, i do like they way it looks, and it does have a brand im at least familar with.

but being the price is really great im wondering if it will perform very well compared to a unit that is a couple of hundreds of dollars.

thanks for any links and advice you guys may have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any reason you're looking for a bandpass? You could fit a 10 or a 12 in a ported box that takes up the same space and will probably be louder.

Any reason you're looking for a bandpass? You could fit a 10 or a 12 in a ported box that takes up the same space and will probably be louder.
always liked the sound of the bandpass. dont like the sound of a regular sealed or ported. plus i have always had an interest in trying out a custom bandpass that was made specifically for the sub i have rather than off the shelf. i had an off the shelf box that sounded really good to me and im very curious what a custom made to spec could do.

size is important but with an 8 inch i should be able to hand the size it requires vs. a 12 inch in a bandpass box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please give some more details, what car, how much power, how much space you have ect.
its not so much a specific car as i may be moving it into different cars. main concern is the size. need to have as little of a footprint as possible without sacrificing the sound it can make so im leading towards the 8 inch woofers. i do have a 1000 watt amp that would work well for any 8 inch woofer i decide on.

look for a driver with a qts of > .5 for a 4th order, the lower the Fs is the better. If your going to do a 6th order qts

look for a driver with a qts of > .5 for a 4th order, the lower the Fs is the better. If your going to do a 6th order qts
so im assuming the sun down SA 8 v.2 D2 wont work with a 4th order.

Ya why not a SA 8 V2? those are pretty much the best 8's out there.....
There is no best sub, the sa 8 is designed for spl. It is made to get loud. This normally means a ported box. It will work well in a 6th order bp according to the model.

There is no best sub, the sa 8 is designed for spl. It is made to get loud. This normally means a ported box. It will work well in a 6th order bp according to the model.

how about, what is best for a 4th order band pass.

From your other thread, I see you are trying to save on space, and doing a bandpass enclosure will NOT be the way to go. I would be willing to bet that you would be much more satisfied with a nice 10" driver in a ported enclosure. SA series performs well in smaller ported boxes.

From your other thread, I see you are trying to save on space, and doing a bandpass enclosure will NOT be the way to go. I would be willing to bet that you would be much more satisfied with a nice 10" driver in a ported enclosure. SA series performs well in smaller ported boxes.

there seems to be some confusion on the other thread. the order of requirement is in the wrong direction. im looking for a bandpass this time for my box. but i would like it be the smallest version of a bandpass. i dont want a sealed or just a ported version. i would like to try out a bandpass this time.

kinda of like when a person wants to eat ribs but everyone keeps saying to eat steak, eat steak its better just put some bbq sauce on it, but my preference is that i want ribs this time around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.