Why do I keep blowing fuses?

Search
10+ year member

I'm talking about the fuze on the amp power cable that runs to the battery. It's a 4 gauge.

When I got this new amp (Kicker DX 1000.1) every time I turn the amp up it blows the fuze. Nothing is grounded and I cannot for the life of me figure out how it keeps happening.

I first had a 50, now I've blown 3 80s. I'm saving my last one for just in case I figure out what's wrong.

Amp is rated 1000 watts @ 2 ohm. My subs are 2 Kicker CVR - DVC and 2 ohm - wired in parallel .. so I've got a combined load of 2 ohms.

What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
How much does your amp draw?
Meh, to hell with the shop I was talking to that said not to go over 80. Just picked up the manual to see if it was in there and I noticed it said used 1 x 100 Ampere.

Guess I just answered my own question.

what is your gain and bass boost set at on your amp?
I screwed up when putting all of this together. My subs are 2 ohm DVC and the amp is 1000 watts @ 1 ohm stable. Well I cannot wire the subs to 1 ohm, so have to stick with 2 ohm. The amp is 550 watts at 2 ohms. I should be able to turn everything wide open.

However, my gain was 3/4 turn and I blow the fuze about 10 seconds after bass boost is turned on.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

How long is your ground? What is it grounded to? Bare shiny metal?
Thanks for reminding me, I need to check. The wiring was done by Best Buy therefore I do not know.

Yeah, flame me for it but I'm new at this and didn't want to attempt.

I screwed up when putting all of this together. My subs are 2 ohm DVC and the amp is 1000 watts @ 1 ohm stable. Well I cannot wire the subs to 1 ohm, so have to stick with 2 ohm. The amp is 550 watts at 2 ohms. I should be able to turn everything wide open. 

However, my gain was 3/4 turn and I blow the fuze about 10 seconds after bass boost is turned on.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Thanks for reminding me, I need to check. The wiring was done by Best Buy therefore I do not know.

Yeah, flame me for it but I'm new at this and didn't want to attempt.
you need to read around the forums a little more

Ok, you're wired in parallel with 2 DVC 2ohm subs... That's roughly .5ohms, not 2. You need to wire in series-parallel. (Both subs with voice coils wired in series, then both subs wired together in parallel.)

Not only that, that amp draws more than 80amps. So you need a bigger fuse first off. If I recall it was around 90amps that that amp draws. Plus like everyone else said lower the gains, check grounds, and double check your final impedance. Just my. 02

Not only that, that amp draws more than 80amps. So you need a bigger fuse first off. If I recall it was around 90amps that that amp draws. Plus like everyone else said lower the gains, check grounds, and double check your final impedance. Just my. 02
Yeah I keep trying to post this but it freezes. I re-read through the manual instead of listening to the guy at the shop..

For starters, this amp is infact 1000 watts @ 1 ohm. I cannot get two DVC 2 ohm subs to hit it. I would have to wire in series, hit .5 ohms, and lower my gain to hit my RMS. However, I don't think anyone would recommend this.

Second, I have these wired @ 2 ohms. The amp will only do 550 watts @ 2 ohm. So, even if I turn my gain all the way up, I will not hit maximum RMS, but I will still draw too much power to the amp correct?

The manual also says to use 100 amp fuzes. So I'm going to order me some and hopefully that was my main problem.

Also, I found where they grounded it. It still had paint under the ground so I grinded the paint off and now it is metal on metal.

I just need a new amp now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif One that will actually do 1000 watts @ 2 ohm. Anyone want to buy my brand new DX 1000.1 lol ?

Yeah I keep trying to post this but it freezes. I re-read through the manual instead of listening to the guy at the shop..
For starters, this amp is infact 1000 watts @ 1 ohm. I cannot get two DVC 2 ohm subs to hit it. I would have to wire in series, hit .5 ohms, and lower my gain to hit my RMS. However, I don't think anyone would recommend this.

Second, I have these wired @ 2 ohms. The amp will only do 550 watts @ 2 ohm. So, even if I turn my gain all the way up, I will not hit maximum RMS, but I will still draw too much power to the amp correct?

The manual also says to use 100 amp fuzes. So I'm going to order me some and hopefully that was my main problem.

Also, I found where they grounded it. It still had paint under the ground so I grinded the paint off and now it is metal on metal.

I just need a new amp now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif One that will actually do 1000 watts @ 2 ohm. Anyone want to buy my brand new DX 1000.1 lol ?
quote For starters, this amp is infact 1000 watts @ 1 ohm. end quote. it may be with a final load of 1ohm but what is your final load? the ansewr to that requires some test equipment and the know how to use it. What the owners manual is saying is with a test tone of lets say 50hz and a true one ohm load they saw 50 volts AC out of that amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.