why does my amp keep blowing 60 amp fuses?

Do not EVER increase fuse size greater than recommendation.

Risk of fire is possible.

IF the manual says no higher than 60, then no higher than 60.

Also, a 60A fuse does not blow at 60A of current.

Years of being in the industry shows the following-

A fuse can handle approximately 350% of it's rating for 2 seconds under superior conductive installation

A fuse can handle approximately 160% of it's rating for 8 seconds under typical installation methods.

A fuse can handle approximately 160% of it's rating during spikes for daily driving for months at a time.

To pop a 60a fuse under proper installation, it would have to be typically be pulling around or over 100A of current.

I could start to name off a neverending list of why the fuse could be popping but i will not speculate.

He's talking about his under hood fuse, and how his wire size may be too "big".... I think....

What gauge wire are you running, and is it the under hood fuse, or the amp fuse?

There is a dyno of that amp somewhere. Think it was oldschoolstereo that did it. I believe it was like 400 watts at 2 ohms and 45-50 amps of current. Running it at 1 ohm the current will certainly go up. If you are clipping even slightly that fuse is getting over ran quick.

Nm... I just saw at the bottom of the 1st page... anyhow, what size fuses are on the actual amp? 1 gauge (does that even exist?) Should have a much larger fuse then 60... the fuses on your wiring, are for the wiring and vehicle itself, not the amp... as shizzon stated, its all speculation, and you really do need a dmm. But some pics of the distro block connections, and the wiring connections at your battery, and amp, would help us all a lot....

There is a dyno of that amp somewhere. Think it was oldschoolstereo that did it. I believe it was like 400 watts at 2 ohms and 45-50 amps of current. Running it at 1 ohm the current will certainly go up. If you are clipping even slightly that fuse is getting over ran quick.
That's pretty much what I was thinking....

it's just a straight power wire ran from the battery straight to the distribution block and a smaller 4 gauge wire out the other side to the amp. and yes, I seen that video where it ran at 453 watts mono at 2ohms. I believe it was 453. something like that. and i'm running a stock alternator and a single battery. it doesn't clip. just when the bass hits real hard after about 10 to 20 seconds, it pops the fuse.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.