why dont more people use fi ssd

Fi Q is a great sub, but does not compare with the 05' XXX. Idk why, but scott started sending out all the Qs this past year with his "BP" power option(Pole plug, forces air around the coil during excursion, increasing power handeling). This pole plug makes the speaker incredibly ineffiecent. Worst ******* catch22 ever. Takes SOOOOO much power to get loud. I built a box for a 12' Q for my friend's beemer, 2.5cubes, 32hz, and his 1210d Hifonics can't even move the ******* thing. It is really sad.

I swear that **** plug hinders it's Sound Quality too(harmonic distorion, frequency response).

If anyone has heard an 05' XXX and an Fi Q A/B swapped in the more/less proper enclosure for the two, they could easily tell you who the top dog is(XXX).....

Hoffman's Iron Law teaches us that higher efficiency isn't always the positive benefit we tend to see it as in other situations besides speakers.
True but the trade-offs are all relative. What's efficient? What's low frequency extension? What's a small enclosure?

If we're comparing efficiency to a pro audio 10" midrange with a low freq cutoff of 150hz, then all true subs are horribly inefficient with ratings in the mid to low 80s (dB @ 1W). Thanks to the small room boost provided by a car interior, an F3 of 45 hz for a sealed enclosure is perfectly acceptable whereas that 3dB down point for a home theater sub would be woefully inadequate. Finally, compared to some home theater subs, pretty much all car enclosures are tiny, but compared to that sealed back 10" midrange they're huge.

True but the trade-offs are all relative. What's efficient? What's low frequency extension? What's a small enclosure?
Absolutely. The reply I quoted used very absolute terms. My point was reality is not so absolute. Sometimes a less efficient driver can prove advantageous. Anyone can say "Id rather use less power to get the same output"... only knowledgeable people will suggest the situation is more complex than such a black and white description.

Fi Q is a great sub, but does not compare with the 05' XXX. Idk why, but scott started sending out all the Qs this past year with his "BP" power option(Pole plug, forces air around the coil during excursion, increasing power handeling). This pole plug makes the speaker incredibly ineffiecent. Worst ******* catch22 ever. Takes SOOOOO much power to get loud. I built a box for a 12' Q for my friend's beemer, 2.5cubes, 32hz, and his 1210d Hifonics can't even move the ******* thing. It is really sad.
I swear that **** plug hinders it's Sound Quality too(harmonic distorion, frequency response).

If anyone has heard an 05' XXX and an Fi Q A/B swapped in the more/less proper enclosure for the two, they could easily tell you who the top dog is(XXX).....
So I'm guessing the P Chamfer option is also a no no?

And what about I Heat Ring?

i know a few years back when i came to this place everyone was like yea fi is the way to go but if u have the money then go with sundown. times have changed i do see alot of budget builds that get nasty loud. let me ask this pretty basic question. what sub would u buy keep in mind this is daily lets say around 2000rms to play with and some where around 30-35hz tunning or even sealed?

8- under 100 over 100

10- under 100 over 150

12- under 100 over 150

15 - under 150 over 200

18 -under 300- over 300

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.