Why the hell do I have so much dimming still?

i have the same thing.... 275 amp iraggi, 3 group 31 yellow tops, etc, lights still dim, i guess sometimes its unaviodable...
Maybe their alternators are crap? Or maybe your amps are just extremely inefficient? My old amp that put out 1/2 the power of my current sub amp caused insane dimming and the amp actually broke because of it. My new amp has very slight dimming when cranked hard but with regular listening and a good deal of bass there's no dimming.

My Iraggi alt is fine. I was fusing my alternator to + battery wire today and replaced my batteries ground wire with a different color and when I was driving home I noticed I had no dimming at all. And that's with it almost all the way up. turned it all the way up and had slightly noticable dimming so it's all good now. I think it's cuz I did a shitty crimping job on my last ground wire with a hammer and a vice and this time I used a good set of fullsize crimpers.

also you may need extra items in case the alt doesnt kick up much current at your vehicles idle (underdrive/overdrive pullies) i always get it backwards is why i suggested both lol alot of times alt just needs a few more rpm. also most alts are not rated their max power ay a lowwer rpm rateing meaning at 1500-2500 rpm your 200 amp alt is probably not doing 200 amps until you are around 3000+ rpm.

also you may need extra items in case the alt doesnt kick up much current at your vehicles idle (underdrive/overdrive pullies) i always get it backwards is why i suggested both lol alot of times alt just needs a few more rpm. also most alts are not rated their max power ay a lowwer rpm rateing meaning at 1500-2500 rpm your 200 amp alt is probably not doing 200 amps until you are around 3000+ rpm.
Wouldn't pullies cause excessive wear on the alternator though? If you are forcing the alternator to spin faster at low rpm that means at 2k and 3k freeway rpm's you're really forcing that alternator to spin? I'd think that would cause excessive commutator wea and bearing wearr? As I've said before though this isn't something that I know a lot about. I'm using more of my experience with electric motors than alternators; maybe they work totally different.

lights dim when the voltage of the alternator drops from its setpoint of 14 volts (apx.) towards the batteries floating point voltage of 12.66 volts. 14 volts to 12.66 volts is the problem. batteries supply power to the vehicle only when voltage drops below 12.66 volts. adding batteries in parallel will not raise the 14 volts you need.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.