XS Power D3400, lights still dimming..seems worse, they almost want to turn off..

Participant count
  • Participant list

b0r
10+ year member

Richmond
Information:

2006 Dodge Charger

Stock Alt

XS Power D3400

JBP BP 1200.1

RE SXX 12D4

The kicker:

When my buddy bought this car (before I purchased it from him) and he installed the amp, he purchased a nice Rockford Amp kit with 1/0 wire. When he realized the battery was in the trunk, he went to walmart and bought some random (what looks to be 1/0) wire, like what you would use on a lawn mower or some ****. He just ran the little wires less than 2 feet from the battery to the amp, and the amp is grounded to the - on the battery. ( i know, heard all the stories, it's fused so whatever).

I replaced ONLY the battery ground, which literally appeared to me to be less than 10 gauge wire. It's pencil thin. I now have a 1/0 ground added to that. Is that ****** walmart 1/0 wire causing this problem with the ground? Should I ground the amp to the chassis instead of the battery?

My headlights literally almost shut off at 20, but kick it back to 18 and it's a light flicker, barely noticeable. Only things I can assume:

1. My car already has 1/0 from alt to battery in trunk because of the stock battery location, should I add another run going under the car?

2. I upped the battery ground to chassis from the "wtf is this wire" to 1/0 gauge.

3. Could the amp power to batt and ground to batt wires being ****** things from walmart cause this severe dimming?

Maybe I should just finish the big 3 instead of the big 1 that I did and try again? More importantly, would replacing the power and ground from walmart with good wire to the amp matter? I've heard mixed things.

Since installing the D3400, my sub hits so much harder at the same volume levels, so now my amp isn't suffering, just my headlights. Could my alternator be on it's way out due to running for a few months with that stock battery? ahhh i just don't want to throw money into replacing the walmart power and ground to amp if it's not an issue. It's less than 5 feet of wire and it's working but that's not the issue, the headlights are. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

see the resting voltage on the battery if that is normal then you my friend have a dead alt that is dragging on a limb. What size stock alt you got?

160 Amp stock. Battery was right around 12.51 dead. Car turned on with my "max" listening volume with a heavy bass song on and the voltage only ever dipped to 13.95 on a sick note, but never below 14....not sure what to make of this? Granted, I did not have my headlights on, so idle running with bass roasting never dropped below 14, so my alternator appears to be doing what it's supposed to or am i wrong there?

If your voltage isn't dropping below 13.95v then you shouldn't be getting any noticeable dimming. Where did you check the voltage when you got 13.95v? The batt or the amp? Try checking the voltage at the cigarette outlet or even the headlights while your system is running. If the voltage is significantly lower, then you have a wiring issue.

well your alt cant keep up with the extra demand that you just added its trying to charge two batts plus the amp thats just svcking up the juice thats to be expected in most cases.

well your alt cant keep up with the extra demand that you just added its trying to charge two batts plus the amp thats just svcking up the juice thats to be expected in most cases.
Negative, I replaced my battery, I didn't add one. My running battery is the D3400.

I got 13.95 as the lowest voltage at my battery terminals, and that was when Young Jeezy was playing at my max listening volume and got real low, otherwise it never dipped below 14.0.

So just ground the voltmeter somewhere and use the cigarette lighter to check voltage? If it is significantly lower, where would this wiring issue be? With the actual car or with my wiring for the system when I put it in? I'm thinking these are really sensitive lights, they'd even dim before the system if you turned the steering wheel all the way in either direction and locked it.

I have not checked the load at the amp with my voltmeter, only at the battery. Would/Should there be a difference at the amp?

There is a positive and ground on the cigarette lighter, if you can take it out you will be able to see the wires. Just be careful with the probes because you can easily blow the fuse if they cross. It may be easier to check the voltage at the fuse block. If its a significant lower voltage then you have a poor connection for your car accessory wires at the batt.

I highly doubt its that tho, sounds to me like its the headlights. Does you inside cabin lights dim as well when the bass hits? Your power steering and alt are on the same belt so you saying you notice dimming when you turn the wheel makes it sound like idle speed/belt tension or slipping issues. However If your voltage is almost at 14v when you turn the wheel or turn up the bass its not the alt its most likely the bulbs on your car.

My dash lights (mileage, etc) dim ever so slightly, my inside dims but it's never on so it's not the issue, just my headlights. at 18 volume, they are good. 2 bumps to 20 and they look like police strobes.

No the reason I asked if your inside lights dim is to see if its just your Headlights dimming or all car accessory seeing the lower voltage. When you turn it to 20 you said the voltage was 13.95 so it cant be the alt, batt or the amp clipping. Its got to be the wiring to the car accessories or the headlights. I would double check to make sure you are really at 13.95v when at volume 20 and not 18. You could be clipping hard

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.