Help pleasee omg

Mouser & Digi-Key will both stock them, but in this case, shipping will cost much more than the actual part. You might be able to find one locally at a RadioShack, just find the printed values on the side...should be "16uF 100V" or something similar. Get a replacement with the same values.

MEHSA = More Extensive Heat Sink Area and is sort of unrelated to this.

Caps are parallel in power filtering applications which is what that cap is doing. With it not functioning, the amp should still power on. Filter caps almost never cause the device to not function at all. If they are going to cause a malfunction usually they cause intermittent problems instead of just altogether not working. I'm going to guess your problem lies elsewhere.

MEHSA = More Extensive Heat Sink Area and is sort of unrelated to this.Caps are parallel in power filtering applications which is what that cap is doing. With it not functioning, the amp should still power on. Filter caps almost never cause the device to not function at all. If they are going to cause a malfunction usually they cause intermittent problems instead of just altogether not working. I'm going to guess your problem lies elsewhere.
Hi BCFoshezzy...the amp does power on... i was even able to get it to play some music...although it shounded pretty flat...then after turning it off and on it would only make a weird beeping noise...it was intermittent like you say....from my description do you still think its something else or could just the cap be causeing this?

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it was something that serious.
A couple years ago when that amp was made, the Chinese had a whole bunch of electrolytic caps that would fail in exactly that way...replacing it with a better quality cap would be cheap, and an easy repair.
OMG, I remember a whole bunch of motherboards that failed due to the capacitors that utilized the "stolen" formula. Wasn't it between 1999 and 2000 when all those bootleg capacitors flooded the market?

Some time around there. IIRC, that amp is close enough in age that I wouldn't put it out the question...

Regardless, easy fix. Just make sure you get a radial cap with snap-in leads instead of an axial one. No more than a couple bucks at RS, at most.

They were testing a new dielectric mixture for the capacitors. Thing is they didn't do any real testing. Haha.

The amp isn't really worth fixing in my opinion.

MEHSA strips ftl. I have an amp here that a previous shop just skipped the MESHA strips and just sprayed thermal compound on the landing instead of soldering the fets back onto the plate.

They were testing a new dielectric mixture for the capacitors. Thing is they didn't do any real testing. Haha.
The amp isn't really worth fixing in my opinion.

MEHSA strips ftl. I have an amp here that a previous shop just skipped the MESHA strips and just sprayed thermal compound on the landing instead of soldering the fets back onto the plate.
Why isint the amp worth fixing?? the replacemnt cap will cost 3 dollers? 3 dollers sounds better then buying a new amp to me?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

If you feel you can do it and are able to fix it, go ahead. More power to you. xD

Why isint the amp worth fixing?? the replacemnt cap will cost 3 dollers? 3 dollers sounds better then buying a new amp to me?
because fixing it is not a simple thing for a audio newb to do. It takes a lot of experience and electrical know how to fix amps. If you have to ask these questions and you will most likely not be able to fix this amp

Do not attempt to fix that amp yourself. You clearly have no idea what you are doing and you could ruin the amp permanently. Leave it to someone that knows how to fix amps. There are several people on this forum that could fix it. Ampjunkie, makeshitaudio, DB-r, myself, CIA engineering, Amp Repair Center......the list goes on and on. Not trying to be mean, just trying to help you out.

Do not attempt to fix that amp yourself. You clearly have no idea what you are doing and you could ruin the amp permanently. Leave it to someone that knows how to fix amps. There are several people on this forum that could fix it. Ampjunkie, makeshitaudio, DB-r, myself, CIA engineering, Amp Repair Center......the list goes on and on. Not trying to be mean, just trying to help you out.
\

I think your making it sound way more complicated then it is... isint it only a matter of heating up the existing solder , removing the cap then stick the terminals on the new cap threw the holes and solder it on?

Cuz i can do that lol.

Pretty much //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If there were damaged PCB traces, or it was a SMT component it'd be a different story, but this is through-hole work. Nothing complicated to it.

Just a tip, use 60/40 rosin-core solder. If you find solder marked as acid-core or water-soluble, do not use it.

Pretty much //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
If there were damaged PCB traces, or it was a SMT component it'd be a different story, but this is through-hole work. Nothing complicated to it.

Just a tip, use 60/40 rosin-core solder. If you find solder marked as acid-core or water-soluble, do not use it.
Thanks Jim

mesha strips are the genious invention of our friends at rockford...notice they dont use them any more! You have a blown up cap and yes it is a generic part and can be found most anywhere there are parts being sold...just keep the capacitence figure as close as possible to the original and if you cant find the exact replacement go highter in value..not lower..If you cant find it anywhere Im sure I have the exact one here in a rockford in the parts heap...it is possible theres something else wrong..but not allways is the case...remove the bad cap and try to start the amp up..if theres nothing else wrong it should start up..dont put it under a laod with no cap in it..meaning-dont hook speakers up to it or RCA's..just see if it powers up and you'll know if theres anything else wrong with it...then get the cap and put it in it and you'll be fine..Maybe you should consider replaceing all the larger filter caps in the amp while your at it..they dont cost much and you'll know that your all good in the cap department after that..

If you have any questions get ahold of me at: ifixamps@yahoo.com

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.