Official CarAudio.com Big 3 Thread

The battery is linked via wire to the alternator that is why you upgrade this wire. The battery is grounded to the chasis of the car, that's why you upgrade this wire. The alternator is grounded to the engine block of the car, however you can help it get a better ground by adding a wire from the engine block to the chasis of the car!

so... why do u need a link between the chassis and block then?? to.. run power bewteen the two.. for no reason??
im soo confused right now..
you must have a complete circuit....just doing the positive is still choking the circuit on the negative side

the circuit between alt and bat goes alt + to bat+, through the bat, then bat - to chassis/frame, and then from the chassis/frame to the block which is where the alt is grounded

8852BG56.gif

...the alt case grounds to the engine block, and battery to frame, but to lessen the resistance between the two grounds, you install a larger gauge wire between the battery's ground (frame) and the alternator's ground (engine block)

okay one more thing...

i dont think my alt is connected by a bolt, more like a thing wire.. is this what they are talking about??

because hooking up a 4g wire to a like.. 14/16g wire is bad right??

okay one more thing...
i dont think my alt is connected by a bolt, more like a thing wire.. is this what they are talking about??

because hooking up a 4g wire to a like.. 14/16g wire is bad right??
is your alternator not bolted to the engine? please post a pic if it isn't.
do you mean someone has used bailing wire to attach the alt to the engine?? h/o where are you from??

edit: michigan? i was hoping at least arkansas...

But for realz just follow whats been posted. it's been beat to death for 28 pages. surely the alt is connected via a bolt. post if you cant figure it out
^^^^or a pic so we can laugh at your alt mount;)

hahahha im not saying its not bolted..

but i dont think the bolt receives or gives off any power...

i have to connect like a small plastic connector.. is that what i connect it to??

why would i put power to a bolt that doesnt do anything??

hahahha im not saying its not bolted..
but i dont think the bolt receives or gives off any power...

i have to connect like a small plastic connector.. is that what i connect it to??

why would i put power to a bolt that doesnt do anything??

you are not putting power to the bolt....the alternator is grounded through the bolt

if you don't have the ground, the alt will not have a complete circuit thus no output

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...