Okay, I need to know if I designed this ported box right...

On the tuning, 34's low enough that it won't bottom out playing some of the ultra-low music? That's what worries me here. One problem I always have with box-building is that it'll be crazy loud for most freq's but then drop off like mad. Lil Jon's Get Low was a good example of a low tone that just never hit right.

Yeah three inches on either side just can't happen. That'd be a 21" tall box at least. Double baffle sounds like a good idea though. Just gotta re-tool the box a little.

yea just double baffle it and you will be fine. if you are that scared of it not being strong enough around the edges just make sure you use a **** ton of wood glue. glob it on there and resin the inside, do some bracing and resin the inside and the box wont come apart.

and yea 34 should be plenty low. my dd's are tuned to 39 and it hits the lows real well and doesnt bottom out..... well not yet... haha i dont think they are broken in yet but yea 34 will be plenty low imo.

All right cool. That always worries me. I don't know exactly how the roll-off works below the tuning freq but if I end up building this box and the sub starts flapping I'll be annoyed, y'know? But if you're rolling at 39Hz obviously 34'll be fine.

I just measured my L7 for reference and the outer diameter is like 15.75", which means I'd practically be drilling the sub into the top and bottom pieces. That's just cutting it too close for comfort. So 17" tall it is, to get a little extra space. That means 36x17x16 with the four main boards (top/bottom/left/right) cut .75" extra thick to make space for the double baffle.

Okay so I'm looking into designing the box, and in the T4 manual it says it recommends stapling 1" thick fiberglass insulation to the inside of the box.

Two questions:

1) Does it matter what kind this is? I've never used this crap in a box before and I'm a little lost on this one. Seriously, just the pink stuff? Does it come in 1" thick sheets?

2) How many staples per square inch is a good idea here? If it's too many I'm pretty sure it'll get smushed down too far to be useful, too few and I'm gonna open up my trunk and find shreds of fiberglass everywhere.

Okay so I'm looking into designing the box, and in the T4 manual it says it recommends stapling 1" thick fiberglass insulation to the inside of the box.
Two questions:

1) Does it matter what kind this is? I've never used this crap in a box before and I'm a little lost on this one. Seriously, just the pink stuff? Does it come in 1" thick sheets?

2) How many staples per square inch is a good idea here? If it's too many I'm pretty sure it'll get smushed down too far to be useful, too few and I'm gonna open up my trunk and find shreds of fiberglass everywhere.
alright building boxes is like the way people make anything. everyone has their own way of doing it. you dont need to fiberglass the inside or use staples . thats just one way of doing it . the biggest thing is making sure your cuts are right on and brace accordingly. and use a **** ton of wood glue. screws are up to you.

Dude I should be like, paying you for the amount of consultation you're giving me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

So the fiberglass isn't necessary? Seemed like a weird thing to point out in the manual, but if it's not needed then it's not needed so whatever. I'll call it an outside possibility and decide later if I want to bother.

Yeah, my normal way of building is wood glue and c-clamp the hell out of everything, then screw it shut and use silicon sealant on all the inside edges once all that's in place. It's a little surprising that you'd say screws are optional though. I didn't think wood glue was that strong. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

All right, looks like I'm pretty much done with the design phase. At least in terms of getting my methodology down. Now it's just a matter of making sure which sub I'm getting and then pick up the materials.

Also that video is ****ing outrageous. WOW. Awesome work mang.

IS THERE ANY ONE ON HERE THAT CAN GIVE ME A DESIGN THAT WILL DO THAT??

or that could help me and walk me through every thing i need to kno??

if so that guy would awesome

IS THERE ANY ONE ON HERE THAT CAN GIVE ME A DESIGN THAT WILL DO THAT?? or that could help me and walk me through every thing i need to kno??

if so that guy would awesome
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh:

Dude I should be like, paying you for the amount of consultation you're giving me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
So the fiberglass isn't necessary? Seemed like a weird thing to point out in the manual, but if it's not needed then it's not needed so whatever. I'll call it an outside possibility and decide later if I want to bother.

Yeah, my normal way of building is wood glue and c-clamp the hell out of everything, then screw it shut and use silicon sealant on all the inside edges once all that's in place. It's a little surprising that you'd say screws are optional though. I didn't think wood glue was that strong. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

All right, looks like I'm pretty much done with the design phase. At least in terms of getting my methodology down. Now it's just a matter of making sure which sub I'm getting and then pick up the materials.

Also that video is ****ing outrageous. WOW. Awesome work mang.
haha na dude trust me i was in your spot not too long ago. haha im just passing on the knowledge.

but no fiberglass is not necessary. and neither is silicon. if your cuts are close enough and you wood glue and clamp it down you will be leak free. and the reason i say screws are necessary is because the wood glue is actually stronger than the mdf. but if you dont have time to F around with the clamps all day just screw it down and it will work. i normally clamp it down and then screw it down while the box is clamped.then un clamp and do then next piece. clamp, screw, move on.

alright man good luck. any more questions feel free to pm me or ask me here. haha thanks a lot man. that was all thanks to dappa5

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.