6 Speakers - 4 Channel Amp - Need some guidance

Participant count
  • Participant list

bonkers

Hey guys (and girls),

I have read quite a few threads on this topic specifically and seen both troll and solid responses. My problem is that I don't know understand impedance/ohm variation between setups.

Here's what I got:

2016 Ram 1500 with the 8" display but without the Alpine Upgrade

Factory system has 2 rear door, 2 front door, and 2 dash

Audio Control LC7i (Black) (In order to keep my factor head unit)

• Front Channels to JX400
  • Rear Channels to JX400
  • Sub Amp Output (Not listing SUBS or mono amp)

JL Audio JX400/4D 4-channel car amplifier — 70 watts RMS x 4

AUDIOPIPE BB14 BASS BLOCKERS (For dash speakers)

Jl Audio C2-350x 3.5-Inch 2 Way Speakers (Dash) [4 ohm]

Jl Audio C2-525x 5 1/4" 2 Way Speakers (Front Doors) [4 ohm]

JBL CLUB 9630 6x9" 3-way Coaxial Speaker System (Rear Doors) - (Someone gave to me - will purchase Jl Audio C2-525x that are 4ohm in the future but have these for now) [3 ohm]

My confusion is how do I add the dash speakers to the front channel along with the front door speakers (if it's possible).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I believe you can wire the two front speakers together to get a final resistance of 8ohm, but it may be 2 ohm, and hook that to the front channels.

If it were me, I would hook the 3.5s to the head unit, and then wire the 5.25s and 6x9s to the front and rear channels, respectively.

EDIT: Another option would be to wire the 3.5s to the front channels and 5.25s to the rear and either not install the 6x9s or hook those to the head unit.

Why have you bought and still plan to buy more 5-1/4" speakers? Keep 6x9s as the bass response can be far greater than most 5-1/4" speakers. I recommend this even if you will add a subwoofer.

Without the Alpine system and a separate factory amplifier the LC7i is not needed. Use the high level inputs on the JX400 amplifiers.

A better way to handle this upgrade would be to run the speakers active. That means you will not use the BB14 bass blockers, but instead you will set electronic crossover filters. Each speaker gets its own amplifier channel.

In the front of the truck you will use one JX400/4D amplifier. Set the Input Mode switch to 2 Ch. Get your signal from the front Left and Right speaker outputs of the radio. You may need to install resistors to get the radio to operate correctly without the stock speakers connected. See this article for an explanation: Everything is hooked up, powered on and music is playing, but I have no audio from my Line Converter - AudioControl

Put the 6x9s in the front doors on channels 3&4, set the amplifier to LPF and 200 Hz. Wire channels 1&2 to C2-350x and switch it to HPF at 200 Hz.

Hey guys (and girls),
I have read quite a few threads on this topic specifically and seen both troll and solid responses. My problem is that I don't know understand impedance/ohm variation between setups.

Here's what I got:

2016 Ram 1500 with the 8" display but without the Alpine Upgrade

Factory system has 2 rear door, 2 front door, and 2 dash

Audio Control LC7i (Black) (In order to keep my factor head unit)

• Front Channels to JX400
  • Rear Channels to JX400
  • Sub Amp Output (Not listing SUBS or mono amp)

JL Audio JX400/4D 4-channel car amplifier — 70 watts RMS x 4

AUDIOPIPE BB14 BASS BLOCKERS (For dash speakers)

Jl Audio C2-350x 3.5-Inch 2 Way Speakers (Dash) [4 ohm]

Jl Audio C2-525x 5 1/4" 2 Way Speakers (Front Doors) [4 ohm]

JBL CLUB 9630 6x9" 3-way Coaxial Speaker System (Rear Doors) - (Someone gave to me - will purchase Jl Audio C2-525x that are 4ohm in the future but have these for now) [3 ohm]

My confusion is how do I add the dash speakers to the front channel along with the front door speakers (if it's possible).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Why have you bought and still plan to buy more 5-1/4" speakers? Keep 6x9s as the bass response can be far greater than most 5-1/4" speakers. I recommend this even if you will add a subwoofer.
Without the Alpine system and a separate factory amplifier the LC7i is not needed. Use the high level inputs on the JX400 amplifiers.

A better way to handle this upgrade would be to run the speakers active. That means you will not use the BB14 bass blockers, but instead you will set electronic crossover filters. Each speaker gets its own amplifier channel.

In the front of the truck you will use one JX400/4D amplifier. Set the Input Mode switch to 2 Ch. Get your signal from the front Left and Right speaker outputs of the radio. You may need to install resistors to get the radio to operate correctly without the stock speakers connected. See this article for an explanation: Everything is hooked up, powered on and music is playing, but I have no audio from my Line Converter - AudioControl

Put the 6x9s in the front doors on channels 3&4, set the amplifier to LPF and 200 Hz. Wire channels 1&2 to C2-350x and switch it to HPF at 200 Hz.
Hi, Thanks for the response.

I'm a bit disheartened at the fact that I don't need the LC7i - that's a fast one I guess crutchfield and our local audio store pulled on me (stating I needed a LOC if I wanted to maintain stereo fade) - Also, I had originally planned to get the JL Audio XD600/6v2 (which doesn't have the HL inputs - so I think I screwed up by trying to be cheap and getting the 4 channel because it changed the entire dynamic of my setup). That said, I previously had JL speakers in my previous vehicle and loved them. Since the only JL's I could get that would fit were 5.25s for the doors and 3.5s for the dash I didn't figure it would be an issue since I have 2 10" P3's and a custom box for under the rear seats.

Hmm. So if I returned the 4 channel and got the XD600/6v2 I'd eliminate the problem of not having all 6 (door and dash) speakers amplified. I'd retain the LC7i for the speaker level inputs but now how would I feed signal to my 2nd AMP for the subs? I have the ability to return any of the components listed (except the 3.5s) and am willing to do so if someone has better advice. I'd like power to all 6 speaker, retain front and rear fade, and only have bass coming through the 2 10"s.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.