Alpine iLX-F511E Unit, Poor Features for the Price (My opinion)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sparcnz

CarAudio.com Newbie
Evening, New Member,
I have just purchased and installed an "Alpine iLX-F511E" into our motorhome, to update the system and after starting it up for the first time, I have been very disappointed with the features of the unit, for the price that this unit is.
Would welcome responses from other owners of this unit (including the F507 and F509 unit, which the screen size is the only difference). Hopefully you can give me a better review than I have written below.
For me the following
- In FM mode, it only displays the frequency, no RDS station information or song playing, next. My cheap audio system in my other vehicle, a Kenwood at just over a 1/3 the price includes these features. My Kenwood will even jump to the stations other frequency when I move out off zone (can't remember what this feature is called)
- It has an external GPS antenna connected, but no real point, yes gives a position as -36.8 174.7, not even a map(next). Does not even have provision to update the clock from the GPS data stream, you have to change this manual for Standard time or Daylight time.
- It says it's "Wireless Android Auto", but even though it appears to allow it, it will not work. Plug in the USB cable and Android Auto works.
There are a few other small issues, but I can live with them.
Alpine has not responded to any of my emails for information. I have updated to the latest firmware version, still no difference, poor features. I have had a few Alpine systems over the years, and been very happy, but not this one. Would not recommend it.
I would be very happy to retract all of this, if the unit was found to provide these features. However, I may be looking for a different unit from another brand.

It says it's "Wireless Android Auto", but even though it appears to allow it, it will not work. Plug in the USB cable and Android Auto works.
You may have to use a wireless display adapter for this feature.
Screenshot_20240112-061443(1).png

There are others like, Chromecast, but I have never used them.

You may have to use a wireless display adapter for this feature.
View attachment 56081
There are others like, Chromecast, but I have never used them.
I don't even think you need to do that. You can use WiFi to connect wireless Android Auto but doing so kick out the units ability to self stream from apps like tidal.

Gps mapping is an add on upgrade like many other brands.

And fm signal I don't use so I can't really speak to it. But I've really been happy with my ilx-f509. I do run wired android auto out of convenience. I know the WiFi connection is slowish when first connecting.

My bigger issue it that it blows out the pioneer back up cam display. It's overly bright and over exposed but I can still see. This likely wouldn't be a problem with an alpine cam but I swapped from pioneer to alpine. My other grip is the fact that you have to have a camera adapter to hook other brands to the alpine. It comes with 1 but I at the time needed 2

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...