Amp match to Subwoofer

Participant count
  • Participant list
If I have sundown 2 12 Uv2 what amp should I use? There rated at 1750 watts each but when I talk to a sundown tech they said they could the SFB 5000.D witch is a 5000 watt amp so it would be pushing each sub about 2500 each
That's pushing it a bit. Something around 4k would be tops so around 2k a piece and not for extended play. There is a reason for the ratings, thermal and mechanical breakdown occurs shortly after exceeding those ratings for more than just burps. I think that the SFB line only comes in 1k, 2k, 5k and 8k.

You could get that amp and be conservative with the gains, not a bad option. Pretty cheap power and decently built. I'm sitting on a SFB 1000.4D 4 x 350 at 4, 590 x 4 at 2 and 1050 x4 at 1 if you know anyone interested in the non sub half their rig. BNIB $375 shipped!

Anyhow, that amp will work, but don't push those drivers with that kind of wattage, you will burn them up eventually, sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
That's pushing it a bit. Something around 4k would be tops so around 2k a piece and not for extended play. There is a reason for the ratings, thermal and mechanical breakdown occurs shortly after exceeding those ratings for more than just burps. I think that the SFB line only comes in 1k, 2k, 5k and 8k.

You could get that amp and be conservative with the gains, not a bad option. Pretty cheap power and dcentaly boult. I'm sitting on a SFB 1000.4D 4 x 350 at 4, 590 x 4 at 2 and 1050 x4 at 1 if you know anyone interested in the non sub half their rig. BNIB $375 shipped!

Anyhow, that amp will work, but don't push those drivers with that kind of wattage, you will burn them up eventually, sooner rather than later.
I might hit you up for that amp but so of I'm running a SIA 3500D would it even be worth getting a bigger amp? Also if the SFB is a 1000 watt amp how is 350 watts at 4 channels?

350 watts at 4 ohms I mean?
The SFB 1000.4D is not a subwoofer amp. It's for the midbass and tweeters. it's one of the most powerful 4 channel amps on the market.
350 x 4 at 4 ohms,
590 x 4 at 2 ohms,
1050 x 4 at 1.
It's really designed for people that are going to run multiple PA/PRO style mids/tweets or low impedance 6/8" midrange drivers. It's a beast for sure.

As for your subs, I think that the 3500 watt you have is more than enough.

Considering you have to go to 28000 (yes that is twenty eight thousand) watts to double the volume from that 3500 watt amp, kind of silly!

3500 to 7000, 3db or 33% louder volume
7000 to 14000, another 3db or about 66% louder
14000 to 28000, another 3db or around a doubling of the volume as perceived by the ear, again, not really practical.

Going to a 5K amp would net you about a 16% increase in volume, and really about as far as you can take it before having other major considerations.

Things start to get complicated when you start introducing that kind of power specifically for driving subs. Better electrical, lithium banks, HO alternators, multiple cable runs, parallel grounding, lots to consider.

3500 watts to a couple subs that can handle it is pretty darn loud.

The SFB 1000.4D is not a subwoofer amp. It's for the midbass and tweeters. it's one of the most powerful 4 channel amps on the market.
350 x 4 at 4 ohms,
590 x 4 at 2 ohms,
1050 x 4 at 1.
It's really designed for people that are going to run multiple PA/PRO style mids/tweets or low impedance 6/8" midrange drivers. It's a beast for sure.

As for your subs, I think that the 3500 watt you have is more than enough.

Considering you have to go to 28000 (yes that is twenty eight thousand) watts to double the volume from that 3500 watt amp, kind of silly!

3500 to 7000, 3db or 33% louder volume
7000 to 14000, another 3db or about 66% louder
14000 to 28000, another 3db or around a doubling of the volume as perceived by the ear, again, not really practical.

Going to a 5K amp would net you about a 16% increase in volume, and really about as far as you can take it before having other major considerations.

Things start to get complicated when you start introducing that kind of power specifically for driving subs. Better electrical, lithium banks, HO alternators, multiple cable runs, parallel grounding, lots to consider.

3500 watts to a couple subs that can handle it is pretty darn loud.
I was asking about the SFB amp bc I'm getting some new midrange speakers rated about 300 watts RMS and 600 watts MAX at 101 db so was curious how the SFB 1000.D can be 350 @4 ohms I know that's there spec but how bc it's only 1050 @1 ohm so that would be the total it could handle right? Bc 350x4 is 1400 watts? I love sundown amps so I would want another one for my mids

Actually the specs (and I've seen it dyno above rated) for the SFB 1000.4D is per Ea. 4 channels.

350 x 4 at 4 ohms (1400 watts)
590 x 4 at 2 ohms,(2360 watts)
1050 x 4 at 1, (4200 watts)

I got it thinking I would run my 6.5 fronts and 6x9 rear midbass, but ran out of room on the rack after acquiring another Stereo Integrity SIQ 75.4 which I decided to bridge to the front midbass giving my front stage all SIQ class A/B. That made the SFB just too much power for a set of 6x9 midbass and a set of tweeters for the rear fill duty, ridiculously overpowered for that duty - 350 x 4 was not only 4 times the rated RMS limits of the 6x9's, but absolutely nuts to give a set of 50 watt RMS 1" silk dome tweeters 350 also.

With the addition of another SIQ, I needed (prefered) a smaller 4 channel for the rear so I could run them passive/active off the DM-810 DSP unit as the rear R/L will have to be run off a single R/L from the DSP, only have 8 primary (6 channels for the front stage alone) 2 left for the rear and 2 mono channels summed for the subs, just ran out of channels. Using a 4 channel amp for the rears also gave me the added flexibility to tune the gains WAY down for the rear tweeter channel and the combination of using passive x-overs and the Active DSP for the HP attenuation/EQ for the rears just cleans things up and adds another quasi active control for the rear that I would not have otherwise.

The SFB-1000.4D would power 4 1 ohm subs at 1000 watts each, but does not have the same headroom that most monoblocks have which for subs can mean it is overworked for that purpose. That design allows it to play loud and clean at 1 ohm but makes bridging (which it can do) at 2 x 2000 watts difficult. I'll run any four 8" or 6.5/6x9" mids configuration at 1 ophm all day long. Not sure what you are running but this on 4 of any mids/midbass would be quite loud indeed. If I had got the SFB 500.4D, might have kept it. Was informed by droppinhzcaraudio.com that they charge a 20% restocking fee even if it was never installed so I decided to take that loss and sell it instead. No more biz with those guys, fine with the sale of things, terrible support = no more biz (my 3rd amp that I have purchased from them in the last year. and the last and no more recommends)

You would not need another of these for four tweeters, absolutely no need, I think.. What is the configuration outside the sub/ sub amp configuration listed are you running?

Actually the specs (and I've seen it dyno above rated) for the SFB 1000.4D is per Ea. 4 channels.

350 x 4 at 4 ohms (1400 watts)
590 x 4 at 2 ohms,(2360 watts)
1050 x 4 at 1, (4200 watts)

I got it thinking I would run my 6.5 fronts and 6x9 rear midbass, but ran out of room on the rack after acquiring another Stereo Integrity SIQ 75.4 which I decided to bridge to the front midbass giving my front stage all SIQ class A/B. That made the SFB just too much power for a set of 6x9 midbass and a set of tweeters for the rear fill duty, ridiculously overpowered for that duty - 350 x 4 was not only 4 times the rated RMS limits of the 6x9's, but absolutely nuts to give a set of 50 watt RMS 1" silk dome tweeters 350 also.

With the addition of another SIQ, I needed (prefered) a smaller 4 channel for the rear so I could run them passive/active off the DM-810 DSP unit as the rear R/L will have to be run off a single R/L from the DSP, only have 8 primary (6 channels for the front stage alone) 2 left for the rear and 2 mono channels summed for the subs, just ran out of channels. Using a 4 channel amp for the rears also gave me the added flexibility to tune the gains WAY down for the rear tweeter channel and the combination of using passive x-overs and the Active DSP for the HP attenuation/EQ for the rears just cleans things up and adds another quasi active control for the rear that I would not have otherwise.

The SFB-1000.4D would power 4 1 ohm subs at 1000 watts each, but does not have the same headroom that most monoblocks have which for subs can mean it is overworked for that purpose. That design allows it to play loud and clean at 1 ohm but makes bridging (which it can do) at 2 x 2000 watts difficult. I'll run any four 8" or 6.5/6x9" mids configuration at 1 ophm all day long. Not sure what you are running but this on 4 of any mids/midbass would be quite loud indeed. If I had got the SFB 500.4D, might have kept it. Was informed by droppinhzcaraudio.com that they charge a 20% restocking fee even if it was never installed so I decided to take that loss and sell it instead. No more biz with those guys, fine with the sale of things, terrible support = no more biz (my 3rd amp that I have purchased from them in the last year. and the last and no more recommends)

You would not need another of these for four tweeters, absolutely no need, I think.. What is the configuration outside the sub/ sub amp configuration listed are you running?
Right now I have 4 ds18 Pro zt6 there loud but there not the best sound quality so I'm thinking about upgrading to Apocalypse AP-M67AC 6.5.
The amp I'm running is a ds18 one I belive it's 200 watts per channel or 225 per channels.
I know that going from 225 to 300 watts won't give much more loudness but also the db on the Apocalypse are 101.70 but I'm just upgrading for the same/more loudness but more crystal clear sounding speakers.

Assuming it's 200 per channel - going from 200 x 4 to 350 x 4 and jumping from 96 to 101 is close to doubling the volume of your system. That would give you about an 8db increase in SPL, that's about as good as you could reasonably get unless going to 8" units or multiples of the 6.5's. The SPF 1000.4D can run at 590 watts by 4 at two ohms too.

These Stevens drivers du reasonable well when crossed correctly, They are VERY good sounding drivers, the only ones that I've heard in the PRO style that I like. (I've not heard the DB just to be fair) but the Stevens could be had in 2 ohm variants and that would make up for the difference in efficiency for the most part.

Overall, the Deaf Bonce are going to get the loudest of this group - all things considered. You could use the SFB 1000.4D for the 6.5's DB's and the DS18 for your tweeters, that would be pretty frk'n loud!

Assuming it's 200 per channel - going from 200 x 4 to 350 x 4 and jumping from 96 to 101 is close to doubling the volume of your system. That would give you about an 8db increase in SPL, that's about as good as you could reasonably get unless going to 8" units or multiples of the 6.5's. The SPF 1000.4D can run at 590 watts by 4 at two ohms too.

These Stevens drivers du reasonable well when crossed correctly, They are VERY good sounding drivers, the only ones that I've heard in the PRO style that I like. (I've not heard the DB just to be fair) but the Stevens could be had in 2 ohm variants and that would make up for the difference in efficiency for the most part.

Overall, the Deaf Bonce are going to get the loudest of this group - all things considered. You could use the SFB 1000.4D for the 6.5's DB's and the DS18 for your tweeters, that would be pretty frk'n loud!
Okay that's dope I actually might do that but I appreciate all your help. When I have the money I'll hit you up to see if you still selling it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...