AQ 2200D tested!

Test was done at 13.2 volts and the amps are rated to do 4400 at 14.4 volts. And keep in mind this a clean unclipped signal. If I bumped the gains to a soft clip at my burp frequency this will bring the power #'s up as well. The original test at 13.2 was done with a 1 ohm resistor and produced over 53 volts unclipped that is 2800 watts. I was repesenting a real world scenario using 2 of these strapped together.

Phew I understand all of this so far lol.

Quick question, though: is impedance rise the reason why a dual 1 sub wired down to .5 ohms nominal will run safely on a 1-ohm stable amp like this, given that I don't clip the signal and/or play songs/certain frequencies too loud?

;4439347']Phew I understand all of this so far lol.
Quick question' date=' though: is impedance rise the reason why a dual 1 sub wired down to .5 ohms nominal will run safely on a 1-ohm stable amp like this, given that I don't clip the signal and/or play songs/certain frequencies too loud?[/quote']

Yes that is exactly right, and while playing music the magnet will continue to heat up causing the impedence to raise even more. In my experience most subwoofers are damaged by dirty clipped signals and not overpowering. And amps fail when driven below there rated load and the gains are set too high. When I was installing, I rarely seen a setup that came in for troubleshooting or additional equiptment to have have the gains set properly. 90% no exageration were gains and bass boost maxed out. Even setups that were installed by us came back with all the adj knobs to the right.

Yes that is exactly right, and while playing music the magnet will continue to heat up causing the impedence to raise even more. In my experience most subwoofers are damaged by dirty clipped signals and not overpowering. And amps fail when driven below there rated load and the gains are set too high. When I was installing, I rarely seen a setup that came in for troubleshooting or additional equiptment to have have the gains set properly. 90% no exageration were gains and bass boost maxed out. Even setups that were installed by us came back with all the adj knobs to the right.
Clipping a sub won't cause any damage at all so long as the coil does not heat up to the point of failure. Heat kills coils //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Clipping a sub won't cause any damage at all so long as the coil does not heat up to the point of failure. Heat kills coils //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
True, I should have worded that a little different.

I know its off topic, but i went from here to Tommys sundown test and read it allll over again, and it had me thinking about a Amplifier Testing section similar to RoEs ampguts.. anyone on board? We can pretend if we complain enough, we'll get it

I know its off topic, but i went from here to Tommys sundown test and read it allll over again, and it had me thinking about a Amplifier Testing section similar to RoEs ampguts.. anyone on board? We can pretend if we complain enough, we'll get it
I am all 4 it. Would save time wasted on hype threads.

I am all 4 it. Would save time wasted on hype threads.
I mean i was thinking of searching for all the testing threads done on amplifiers, but theres no way for a search to disregard all the BS that will come up along with it.. Might also get more people publicizing testing.

I mean i was thinking of searching for all the testing threads done on amplifiers, but theres no way for a search to disregard all the BS that will come up along with it.. Might also get more people publicizing testing.
True some consider testing a remove and replace test and meter. With all the variables if we could keep it to a real voltage test as opossed to "it went up 2 db" **** I think it would be more usefull .

so what would these amps be compared to power wise?
I am not sure, I will be doing a 14.4 test this weekend and posting my results, and possible a 16volt test if I can get my hands on the power supply. I plan on doing a individual and a strapped test. To show what a typical user can expect with these.

Personally I am very happy with these amps being able to deliver 3400 real watts @ 13.2 volts without clipping the signal. I have tested my Mmats 2200.1 and it delivers 1800 watts unclipped in car at 13 volts. Same test I did with the 2200d so i feel this would be the most obvious comparison.

I am sure you can get a good bit more out of them. If you clip the signal a little it will not be harmful to the subs, only when you run 10-20% distortion will you start to mess up the sub. And I think you would get more power out of them running them individually and matching the gains, not to mention if you get the voltage up to 14v. But those are good results for a completely clean signal and 13v.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jeremiah25

10+ year member
Team Budweiser
Jeremiah25
Springfield, MO
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date