Battery confusion and comparison

Participant count
  • Participant list

Simply420

Hi all, nice forum yall got here!

Anyway, just a couple questions if anyone can help me out. I have a '99 Camry with a standard alternator, battery, and charging system. Big 3 upgrade too.

My question concerns my new setup, which is 2 12' Kickers at 1200w. The headlight dimming is real and even the dash lights too. So after doing research about a 2nd AGM battery for the trunk, I thought that would be a great idea. After looking at brands like XS Power, Stinger, and Kinetic, I noticed something right away. They look like standard SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries but are advertised in terms of watts the system is, and how much it can "handle".

So I work at a batteries store up in Minnesota and I get awesome discounts there. My question is, what is the main difference between these car audio batteries and regular AGM SLAs? Let's take the following as an example:

SHURiKEN SK-BT45

-12v obviosly

-45Ah

-1250W system rating

Duracell DURA12-44C/FR

-12v

-46Ah

-Not rated for wattage.

How similar are these two? They are very similar in terms of group size and Ah rating. Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks!

The top brand batteries advertise the power because that's what we're looking to support...they're agm batteries and though u can get away with a cheaper battery like Duracell... or autozone agm batteries...i get what u pay for...xs... northstar... etc... are worth the money... but again... just upgrade your alt...i upgraded the alt and the battery under hood... problem solved

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I see what you're saying. I did some looking and it turns out the stock alternator for my car is about 90 amps. What should I aim for in amps if I do upgrade?

I see what you're saying. I did some looking and it turns out the stock alternator for my car is about 90 amps. What should I aim for in amps if I do upgrade?
my granprix has 125a alt and i just got a agm starting batt running 930 rms (actual) no prolems i'm sure i could run it at 1 ohm 1160rms no problem.. do u have agm starting batt? if not get one before upgrading alt that and big 3 may help mine is just advance battery.. also some times peeps just have gain to high on amp or over drive hu, don't turn hu past 80% max, don't use bass boost or eq on hu & make sure amp gain under 1/2 way (depend on hu voltage but normally below 1/2 is better than over) ..

150-200

What size wiring did you use for the big 3?

So u think you'll upgrade your system in future... if so... go big and not worry about upgrading in future with 300a or more... if not...220-240a alt with 1/0 wire and 1/0 big 3 upgrade

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.