Best battery? - Fuses keep blowing

PuZo
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have 2 questions, I have a somewhat old car, and well the battery is from 1984 so I;m pretty sure I could use a new one. What is the best time for car audio? I'm not pushing much so 1 will do, what kind should I look for? 150-200 price range?

Also I keep blowing my fuses on my distribution block, If I put up the volume for a bit, next time I turn on the car, it doesnt work(sub) my amp for my speakers never blows, just my sub, im giving it less than 500 w, probably aroudn 300-400, I have a 4 gauge wire going from the battery to the block and then 2 8's going to both amps, is this normal? Should I get a *stronger/better* fuse?

Thanks

I have 2 questions, I have a somewhat old car, and well the battery is from 1984 so I;m pretty sure I could use a new one. What is the best time for car audio? I'm not pushing much so 1 will do, what kind should I look for? 150-200 price range?
Also I keep blowing my fuses on my distribution block, If I put up the volume for a bit, next time I turn on the car, it doesnt work(sub) my amp for my speakers never blows, just my sub, im giving it less than 500 w, probably aroudn 300-400, I have a 4 gauge wire going from the battery to the block and then 2 8's going to both amps, is this normal? Should I get a *stronger/better* fuse?

Thanks
you can find optima yellow tops for around 180. give or take

as far as the fuse at the disto. check over youre wireing, dose it blow everytime..

the amp that fuse is feeding, how many and what size fuses are on the amp?

if there is say 2 30 amp fuses on the amp and you have one 30 in the fuse block that may be ur problem.

check your wiring to see if the power wire is stripped and is grounded out on the chassis. That's usually the reason why fuses blow
By that, do you mean that the amp is grounded or the distro itself? And yes, the wire is fully stripped, some even comes out of the block(very very small, but visible)

I think the fuse says 5awg60

I had a crappy fusion amp that does maybe 250-300rms max, now I have a DLS A6 which I only give like I said is running at around the same.

just measure your battery, and whatever battery you are thinking about, check the specs on it. you may have a little extra room to get a bigger one too. just check it out and measure it.

Since your fuses are popping after a little play check your voltage. If that battery is that old it probably don't keep a high charge and when you bump it , it will drain fast and your alt has to keep up. Low voltage will pop fuses fast and easy even if its wirer-ed right. Try to tuck any bare wire into the block as well.

MLA

Okay, Ill look around. Also do I need a capacitor? If so what should I look for? I probably wont be running more than 1000 rms at anytime with both amps combined

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.