Car door speaker not working

jeffreyalbright

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and the driver's door speaker is not working. However on the same door further up the door the tweeter is working. I have taken the inside door panel off and tried poking around for loose or broken wires, but I don't see anything that could be the problem.

Here's what I have tried: I thought the speaker could be blown, so I swapped the driver's door speaker with the passenger door speaker (the passenger door speaker works fine on the passenger side) So then the driver's door speaker does work on the passenger side, but the passenger side speaker does not work on the driver's side.

Since the tweeter is working, should I run wires from the tweeter to the door speaker, or will this not work? I'm just looking for the easiest way to get the door speaker working.

So it sounds like you have isolated it to the wiring. If the back of the head unit/(does it have a factory amp?) is easily accessible, the easiest thing would probably be to just run new wire. If you can get to the back of it you can see how they wired it, and see if each speaker is on their own channel. Some factory setups wire them in series, and use filters for the different speakers, (there might be an inline filter). If you can get to where the speaker wire is (head unit or amp), you should be able to tell if there are 8 wires or 16. Should be able to just match up the colors, and replace with a wire to test it before routing it through. Using larger wire wouldn't hurt.

If you have a factory amp, a wire may have gotten pulled out, or lost a channel. If you were working on something that came in contact with the wire, the factory wire is so thin, it can get damaged, break the strands inside the sheath, and you might never be able to see where it happened. If it got pinched somehow that would be enough to damage it.

@HardofWhoring thank you for responding. This is a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with Monsoon car stereo. It does have a factory amplifier under the front passenger seat. So if the tweeter on the same door is working, but the door speaker is not working do you think it could still be in the wiring at the amplifier?

If you have access to tap into the speaker wire at the amp, try it like you said, with the tweeter or any other speaker lead, if it works, you have a signal source issue. If it doesn't Remove the door speaker, hook it up to another source or take it to a local shop and ask them to test it. Most likely one or the other.

@HardofWhoring thank you for responding. This is a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with Monsoon car stereo. It does have a factory amplifier under the front passenger seat. So if the tweeter on the same door is working, but the door speaker is not working do you think it could still be in the wiring at the amplifier?
Yeah, if you can get to the amp, you should be able to easily tell how many speaker wires it has coming off of it. They are usually in pairs with the same color, and one will be solid, one will have a black or white stripe. That would be one channel.

You should easily be able to tell how many pairs of wires/channels you have coming off the amp. Pretty certain you have rear speakers, so you would most likely have 4,6, or 8 channels. You could also look at the wire that is coming off the tweeter and the midrange speaker on the same side. If they are the same wire, then they are probably wired in series. If they are two different pairs then they would be wired up to different channels.

Once you get it to the channel at the amp, you can check it for AC voltage with a multimeter, or run speaker wire to a known good speaker.
20 year old factory amps are usually a common failure point. If your stereo was loud enough/good enough for you before this happened, the easiest thing to do is to just get a replacement amp (if it's the channel). It might just be a soldering point that or some other internal component. If you have soldered before, and feel comfortable looking at small electronics, you can probably take it apart and inspect it to possibly fix it. Otherwise it's a picknpull type yard and replace it for probably $20 or find one on ebay.

If you've been looking for an excuse to upgrade your stereo, this is a small one.

The first place I'd check is the boot where the wiring goes into the door...I constantly had trouble with wires for my passenger door on my delta 88 around that boot

Yeah I think you guys are right. The amp is probably failing.
Its lasted 19 years thus far. Could be something as simple as a wiring connection as stated. Nothing in electronics last forever. Its had a great run, and may still be working properly if checked accordingly. You might even be able to find another stock one in a yard?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...