HO Alt with or without external regulator.. Need some advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

sbarber82
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hello all, I have a NBS chevy silverado with a 5.3l motor. The NBS trucks have a regulator that cuts the voltage down from 14.4 to 12.5 or so to help save gas. I am going to install my 300a HO alt this weekend and I am not sure if I should use the external regulator I bought with the alt or not.

Seems pointless to have the HO alt if my PCM is just going to cut its output to save gas when I am trying to keep a steady 14.4 voltage to run my setup.

Does anyone have any experience with this technology from GM that cuts the alts output to help save gas?

Dont have the experience with the system, but if this is true, you want a higher voltage to keep things running cool. With this said if you don't use the regulator, you need something in place (battery or cap) to absorb the spikes & dips in the power output of the alternator so you do not exceed the power rating of the equipment.

Rvc has a sensor around the Neg cable. If you are cranking on the system it will see that and boost the voltage. You will see better performance with the ext. regulator but it may set a service light.

Rvc has a sensor around the Neg cable. If you are cranking on the system it will see that and boost the voltage. You will see better performance with the ext. regulator but it may set a service light.
Thanks man. I am going to run the alt without the ext reg first and see what the numbers are. If I am dropping to much I will throw in the ext reg

You can test performance of it with the tow/ haul mode engaged or the headlamp switch on. That can allow the system to boost voltage. I have customers occasionally ask why their systems aren't charging.

mechman has a external regulator that lets you set your charging rate so u can set it too 14.5-15.8 i believe check out their website see if they have one for your application

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sbarber82

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
sbarber82
Vegas baby
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date