Is it bad to send high frequencies to a sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ylpkm

Now that I have my hands on a taramps 8k and its full range would it be bad to send around 10k hz to the sub? I have a neo 12 woofer that actually produces high frequencies very well, unlike other subs that make it sound muffled this actually sounds clean.

Is it safe to put about 2k of full range freq to a sub? Long ago someone said you don't want to because higher frequencies would crack the cone/dustcap, hence why tweeters have metal/plastic cones/dustcap. Is that true, or is it usually not done because the sub doesn't typically blend well with front stage when it too plays high frequencies?

you wont break anything. a woofer has a heavy structure of moving parts so reproducing high freq isn't optimal.

also, high range wont allow the sub to cool as it was designed

I wouldn't play anywhere near 10kHz, not because it would damage the sub, but because of the second reason you mentioned. In most cars everyone is facing forward. Typically the subs are behind the listener. Ideally you'd have everything coming from up front, but do to space constraints this isn't feasible, so we move the subs behind us because the low-end frequencies they reproduce are much less directional. If you have subs facing away from you you won't hear the highs anyway. It's more damaging trying to play lower frequencies than a speaker is designed for because they require more power. Sending a bunch of power to a mid-range speaker with a tiny voice coil could cook it.

Check the speakers specs and, if possible, set a low pass filter to filter out the highs it can't handle. If you like the way it sounds then go for it, but personally I don't even like 100hz coming from the subs at the back because it ruins the imaging for me

The worst thing that will happen with the highs coming from the sub is it will wreck the soundstage from your front speakers.

It will sound like an early 80's setup where the only speakers were on the rear deck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.