Jbl ms-8

Participant count
  • Participant list

jmcinvale
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a JBL MS-8 and have a question.

If I wanted to add more speakers than what I currently have (four door, two dash tweeters and one sub) is there a way to link two of those processors or can I just set up two and calibrate each independently with both processors being fed from the head unit?

That would be cool to do as I could add more speakers and still get the same great sound I currently have.

A single ms-8 can do what you want. You are not even using all 8 channels. If you want more speakers, just split your rca's to your amps. @ units will not work, and calibration will not work either.

I use all 8 channels. Two for the sub two for the rear door two for the front door and two for the dash tweeters.

Nothing I really wanted to do. Just had the idea and wondered if it was possible.

Would be nice though if JBL would make an updated MS-8 processor that could be linked to other processors for expanded speaker capacity.

You only need 1 channel for the sub. There's no benefit to using 2. Put the front mids and tweeters on passive crossovers and free up 2 channels.

The project manager for MS-8 no longer works for Harman International/JBL. I don't know what that means for the future of JBL and DSP for the car audio aftermarket, but I personally don't expect to see a sequel to MS-8.

I used two channels for the subs as it gave me the choice of one or two channels.

Had the front speakers on passive crossover but with them on the processor the sound is so much better.

Don't really need more speakers, but would have been nice if I could have added them with processing.

The project manager for MS-8 no longer works for Harman International/JBL.
Don't mean to trend jack but are you talking about Andy W.? If so when did he leave that's news to me, but then again I have been under a rock...lol

Never mind, I just found my answer yeah it was Andy....dang!!!!

I used two channels for the subs as it gave me the choice of one or two channels.
Had the front speakers on passive crossover but with them on the processor the sound is so much better.

Don't really need more speakers, but would have been nice if I could have added them with processing.
Two channels for the subwoofer was to cater to people who don't realize it's the same signal going down both channels on their RCA. I use 1 channel for my sub and I leave 1 of the 2 channels on my RCA unused. A cleaner install could be achieved with a custom 1 channel RCA or by using a video RCA, although those have extra shielding and don't bend as well.

Two channels for the subwoofer was to cater to people who don't realize it's the same signal going down both channels on their RCA.
All depends on whether or not the head unit or processor has the option of a stereo signal being fed to the subwoofer output. At one point I ran two subs in stereo, but I realized there was no reason to do that in a car audio situation unless the subs were mounted in the doors.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.