Just another amp setting question

Participant count
  • Participant list

BNolan12
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I'm expecting my new amp soon, Alpine MRP-M1000, and I want to hook it up the right way without clipping or anything like that. I've researched and understand how to do the gain with a DMM. My question is about the other two settings on the amp, what l do I set the "bass eq" and "LP Filter" to in order to get the most out of my amp without harming my system. Other info if needed is it will be pushing 2 JL W3 10" at ~500-600W at 4 ohms.

Bass EQ off or 0, Low Pass Filter around 80Hz. LPF can be adjusted to your liking though. And search youtube for vids of clipping so you know what that sounds like. DMM isn't the be all end all of gain setting. I think sonicelectronics has a good vid. Or maybe it was crutchfield? One of those.

Bass EQ off or 0, Low Pass Filter around 80Hz. LPF can be adjusted to your liking though. And search youtube for vids of clipping so you know what that sounds like. DMM isn't the be all end all of gain setting. I think sonicelectronics has a good vid. Or maybe it was crutchfield? One of those.
Would I set LPF to 80 even if my box is tuned to 35? I seen somewhere, may have been on here, that some people match LPF to what the box is tuned too.

Would I set LPF to 80 even if my box is tuned to 35? I seen somewhere, may have been on here, that some people match LPF to what the box is tuned too.
You're referring to the SSF (sub sonic filter) which is a steep slope high pass filter. That's usually 5-8hz below tuning.

No, LPF is a filter that will allow any frequency below what it's set to through, and blocks all frequencies above that. People normally set their subsonic filter to their tuning or a bit below. Depending on the woofer, power, and box, I would go about 5-10Hz below your box tuning. You are referring to the SSF.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

You're referring to the SSF (sub sonic filter) which is a steep slope high pass filter. That's usually 5-8hz below tuning.
Dang, beat me to it.

Alright. Thanks, pretty sure I understand it now. I had a feel for everything just wasn't sure and figured I'd ask someone who would know. I'd like my equipment to last. Lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.