Mecp Master Installer Test= ********

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that a lot of the questions on the tests aren't applicable to a lot of the real work an installer does. However in my mind that does not invalidate the test.

There is no written or multiple-choice test that can measure real world competancy, so MECP classifies installers based on their theoretical preparedness for installation scenarios.

You may be able to fiberglass anything, build any box, and know how to install speakers and head units and alarms up the wazoo, but can you really call yourself a master if you don't know the theory behind what you're doing or you can't answer detailed technical questions about the equipment you're installing?

the certification serves three purposes,

1) most shops will increase pay based on certification level

2) going the extra step to gain the certification shows dedication to the industry which in turn leads us to #3

3) marketability. For yourself and the shop - yea, most likely some one won't come in and ask if you are MECP certified, but instead of waiting for some one to ask, educate your customers about it, catch that guy that is just leaching to find out who has the cheapest price, odds are you will gain at least half of their trusts and business.

It also makes you marketable, yea sure, maybe you are a good installer and know your stuff, but you aren't going to make a living working out of your garage, having a certification is a big boost in the job search.

I think that most questions, at least on the advanced, can't really be answered by studying out of a book. If you can answer most of the test questions, chances are you do know the theory and they why's behind the questions.

I keep reading your posts on the validity of test questions.... and its ability to prove if your an installer....that still isnt the question or the issue....

If you havent taken the test you dont recognize the differences between the most current and up to date infomation and the old school information we rarely use these days.

Read back and compare the analogies to the typewriter and the rest....

A test is good for the applicable knowledge base we use...granted.....

let me put this simply.

The test is not up to date. It asks some questions that are rarely apply.

It asks questions...that yes have anwers and can be figured out.

If I needed to take a test to qualify me to become concrete certified...they wouldnt be asking questions oh how to lay bricks....same stuff....sorta...but not.

I said its ********...because they ask questions that no longer apply to a master installer in the year 2007...i missed the test by 1 question....Its not that I wont be able to take it an pass it... I will....its that the questions for the up and coming installers that need to be tested on their aptitude arent asking the questions that will prove it. This thread isnt to bash on me because I didnt pass it...its to

Its hoops to jump through...not a proof positive test to say yes..you have the knowledge...and you are qualified.

If your saying that a test (any test) in no way shape or form proves that your qualified...what the hell is the point of the test?????

I still say that the test is perfectly valid for what it represents.

In my mind, the beginner test is what proves that you know the basics. The advanced test proves that you can do most techniques and have enough working knowledge to do almost anything thrown at you. The master test is the pinnacle, passing this proves that not only are you more than capable of doing the day to day installation work that will realistically be 99% of your work, but that you can design and implement anything in car audio, old and new.

Thats a relatively fair assesment.....from the outside looking in......but

have

you

taken

the

test

?

?

?

There is very little on new technology and up to date techniques.....it is purely out dated.

Please speak on the validity of the test if you have personally taken it.

If you have, your comments are truly valid.

ok, i'm gonna kill myself here, i'm a noob. i went to stereo school (2yrs ago)and i took the test (entry level) on my first week. i mean i knew how to wire a radio and any simple system BUT i do acknowledge that i passed it because i'm a book worm. there is way more advanced installers here than me that arent even certified so that proves that MECP is pretty much a waste of time. sure i guess it sounds better to say ur certified but to do ur job is that really somethin you need?? btw good luck next time u take the test 12volt

I don't think there are even 10 people on this forum who have taken the master level test, I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to accomplish. I'm sorry you failed, but now you know what to study, so get to it and pass it next time and move on.

If you feel it is that unfair, why don't you give us specific examples of outdated questions and new stuff that was not included.

personally i think MECP is pretty worthless, sure it shows you have knowledge but does not mean you can actually put it to use. A kid in my bay attended a car audio school and was basic certified, however could not eve use a multimeter to save his life. The reason i got basic and advanced is to get a pay raise, very few customers even know what mecp is or really care as long as you do good quality work.

But on the topic of the masters test, had a friend who took it a few years back when there were not many master installers, said was insanely hard and somewhat ridiculous, he did say they revised it a few years back making it easier.

There are 110 in the USA and almost 300 in the world, i passed it with a 89%, Honestly the study guid doesnt really do much for you, you really just need to sit down with someone else who has passed the test befor and have the tutor you

I don't think there are even 10 people on this forum who have taken the master level test, I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to accomplish. I'm sorry you failed, but now you know what to study, so get to it and pass it next time and move on.
You have read through this whole thread....and still dont have any idea what exactly it is that I am trying to accomplish.....

Maybe you should give it another read.

It does seem that your in it to console me.

I dont need any pats on the back. Or atta boys....

The thread didnt start...please someone tudor me...I just cant pass this tough ol' test...

I do appriciate the good and the bad comments.

I am posting in this thread to get a bit of the word out from a concerned persons perspective that the test being reviewed by the peers of the community uniform ally recognize that the test doest prove that your "master quality". We should have a way to hold our installers to a higher standard that can actually accredit the people that deserve it with an award of excellence. An attainable goal...not a glass ceiling that very few can be considered. I dont really think that there are that few people out there that could actually be considered Masters of the trade. Not only including myself. I have worked with some amazing installers that know cars inside and out....different products and how to apply them....wire colors and locations of components off the top of thier heads....and make lots of money doing so...setting trends and being a leader in their field.......and still cannot pass or do not have the desire to pass the test because it proves nothing to them or their customers.....at this point.

I would love to be part of writing the next test. I think I could offer a great amount of suggestions about what type of criteria to test someone on to "REALLY FIND OUT WHAT THEY ARE MADE OF" not just a test that throws them curveballs and asks questions that really....on a daily or monthly or even out of the whole year...probably will never be tested to find the answer to in their daily task of being a master installer.....if the information that is being tested...is so rarely used....why not have the service manuals available to answer the questions that require large breath of memorization of mathematical equations...that you really only memorized to be able to pass the test.

Im opening peoples eyes to the possibility that the test really isnt all its cracked up to be and that we should probably have more master certified installers out there.... Just cuz there are so few out there....only shows that a select few have the memorization skills or as Memphisv-tec428 said.... have someone tudor them before they take the test on exactly what is on it to take it again and pass.

Im glad a NOOB is willing to stick his neck out in this type of thread. It shows that people really do care about where this industry is going....not just trying to post threads that insinuate that they just want to finsih the thread with negative comments and tell the person that started the situation to get over it and move on.

Sorry man...it wont be fixed untill its adressed and solved.

It would be nice if we could get Chris Yato on here to speak on his opinion about the valididty of the current test. I know he helped write the new study guide.

I very much admire his skills and his knowledge....plus his willingness to teach other people he works with and to be a pillar of the Car Audio community.

This is what this thread is for. To open other peoples voices to speak about how they feel about what the MECP Certification is really doing or not doing for our industry as a whole.

Just because the test is written and out there....doesn't mean the tests are correct or current.

Keep it up NOOBS and Not-So-Noobs....speak your minds....your the future of what this might be, can be and ultimately WILL be.

If you want examples of the test questions....take the test.

I wouldnt do this thread any good to blunder my way through trying to recite questions on the test that I dont have right in front of me. I took the test and was disappointed that they were asking the questions they were. Lots of them were very irrelevant.....of course IMHO

I second that.

But our industry should recognize those men that make themselves....that really make our industry...and recognize them as such.....

great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...