My system is weighing down the back of my car. What can I do?

the airbag idea is good, there's also adjustable air shocks. I had some in my grand marquis when I had an outrageously huge box in there, and those could lift the back up about 3 inches with a little air from a compressor. also idk if anyone mentioned it yet or it it's plausible for you, but maybe switch your box to maple or something if it's mdf.
Never heard of using maple. Thanks for the suggestion.

Never heard of using maple. Thanks for the suggestion.
You could swap out the battery for ultracaps as well. I upgraded the rear springs and struts in my car to progressive rate cargo springs and it works well. They're about twice as stiff as the stock springs and get stiffer the more they are compressed.

They do make coil spreaders that go between the coils on the spring and spread them out a little. Might give 1-2" of ride height.

If they make bags that fit your car easily, you don't have to install a compressor and tank. Just run a line with a shrader valve on the end of it from the bags to under the bumper or to the trunk... Pump them up once a week or so. This is pretty common for 1/2 ton pickups that needs a little extra support so they don't squat so bad when loaded down.

I'm sure you could also have some strut spacers made if the rear struts are like most vehicles. They're just a block of aluminum usually that moves the strut down and lifts the rear of the car. But be weary as it will change the alignment on the rear and it might wear tires or handle funny.

IIRC there is about 20lbs per sheet of weight savings with Birch plywood. I don't think the juice would be worth the squeeze to make a whole new box and save 50lbs.

You could swap out the battery for ultracaps as well. I upgraded the rear springs and struts in my car to progressive rate cargo springs and it works well. They're about twice as stiff as the stock springs and get stiffer the more they are compressed.
how much do they run?

They do make coil spreaders that go between the coils on the spring and spread them out a little. Might give 1-2" of ride height.
If they make bags that fit your car easily, you don't have to install a compressor and tank. Just run a line with a shrader valve on the end of it from the bags to under the bumper or to the trunk... Pump them up once a week or so. This is pretty common for 1/2 ton pickups that needs a little extra support so they don't squat so bad when loaded down.

I'm sure you could also have some strut spacers made if the rear struts are like most vehicles. They're just a block of aluminum usually that moves the strut down and lifts the rear of the car. But be weary as it will change the alignment on the rear and it might wear tires or handle funny.

IIRC there is about 20lbs per sheet of weight savings with Birch plywood. I don't think the juice would be worth the squeeze to make a whole new box and save 50lbs.
I won't try the spacers based on the risks. I got a wife kids to think about. I wish I would've known abou the birch or maple before just built my new box. LOL

Ultracapacitors are around $200 for a single bank. I spent $200 on my springs and struts. If you install them yourself, it's really cheap... Of course, I didn't have the tools to do so
I know a mechanic. I can have him put them on as I don't know what the heck I'm doin when it comes to springs and struts. So bout $200 uh?

I know a mechanic. I can have him put them on as I don't know what the heck I'm doin when it comes to springs and struts. So bout $200 uh?
I bought coil spreaders for 30 bucks ..installed in 30 minutes and i have 130lbs of subs plus a box 160 lbs of batts plus 2 amps amp rack etc ..no sag

I bought coil spreaders for 30 bucks ..installed in 30 minutes and i have 130lbs of subs plus a box 160 lbs of batts plus 2 amps amp rack etc ..no sag
Thanks man. What brand and where did you get em from?

I have a 2005 malibu that had serious azz problems. Two 100 lb batts, about 180 lbs in box and subs. So about 400 lbs including the amps. I just bought a couple pairs of rubber spring spacers. Bought em at O'Reilly for like $15. Good for a couple inches of lift and I didn't notice a ride difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.