Need advice on upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rzza

Detroit
Hey guys. I have a Dodge Dart with Pioneer avh x390bt and four alpine type R 6x9, one in each door powered by jlaudio jx400/4 and I am decently happy in that department (need help with eq but that's a different thread). Then I have my subs which I am no longer satisfied with. They are two 12" infinity kappa 120.9's powered by jlaudio jx500/1d. I have tried both vented and sealed setups and I also have bought a much larger amp and I wasn't satisfied by any of these alternatives.

I simply want more punch and smaller footprint while staying under an ideal 800-1000watt amp output.

Would I feel an increase in punch if I keep everything the same and just swap the subs for a single 8" or single 10" Sundown Audio or similar? My amp is underrated 500 watts I read that it pushes closer to 600 watts @ 2 ohms. Otherwise I can upgrade the amp too.

Any other suggestions? Am I chasing a dream? Can I get more punch with the same amp and better, yet smaller speakers?

get a nice ported box with a fu 750., honestly u can get stronger amp new for what u maybe able to sell that mp for $219 much better amp SSA Store - Twisted Sounds TS1KW (TS1KW) look at ssa gcon sub on there $249 underrated at 750rms, that would be a great set up if u get a correct box for it.. the FU 750 and gcon are made in us too.. I'm probably gonna order fu 750 12 soon myself $169 3 yr warranty, made in us hard to beat... guy here just bought 15 yesterday., my buddy just left here 3 hrs ago showed me his fu 1250 15" with 1600rms going to it in 5cf box it's niiiccee... FU Car Audio, fu audio, fu car audio here's friends 1250 (sub is upside down cause he didn't know which way sub box would sound best)

Thanks I never heard of FU, I see they can get really expensive ini the higher lines!

No I don't have another mono amp but I am willing to upgrade to a bigger one as long as its under 1000 watts.

So more output is necessary? The reason I am confused is because my amp gain can only be at 1/4 without distortion. I thought better speakers would allow me to utilize more gain. The reviews on my speakers are great but I feel like they are lacking. If I got a huge FU or Sundown or CT Sounds subwoofer would it not allow me to turn up my amp gain and use more watts?

Thanks!

gain doesn't work like that.. u set gain on amp based on how maany volts u have on hu preouts, if u have 2v u can set gain about 1/2 way if u have 4-5v gain will usually end up around 1/4... sub u have doesn't really matter.. u get that ts1k and sa gcon or fu 750 $169 in a 2.5cf ad box tuned 34-36hz u be happy.. u don't need a FU 1250-2200 or sundown x, if u get large sub like that u would need 2k-3k rms to push it well

;Thanks you guys for replying here. I admit I am naïve, I was into the car sounds back in the 90s, it's been a while.

I think I need to go back to basics before I can make a sound decision. Of course I know the difference between spl and sq and I absolutely fall under sq. I care more about my mids and highs than anything and I can spend all of my waking hours fiddling with the crossovers and eq. That said, I think of bass as bass. I like my bass clean, are these spl subs gong to produce clean bass? If so why are they spl, just because they get loud? Do sq guys often buy spl subs? Sorry but the spl comment threw me off a bit.

gain doesn't work like that.. u set gain on amp based on how maany volts u have on hu preouts, if u have 2v u can set gain about 1/2 way if u have 4-5v gain will usually end up around 1/4... sub u have doesn't really matter.. u get that ts1k and sa gcon or fu 750 $169 in a 2.5cf ad box tuned 34-36hz u be happy.. u don't need a FU 1250-2200 or sundown x, if u get large sub like that u would need 2k-3k rms to push it well
Any chance that any of these subs could be run in sealed box? Also, I have my eye on a jx1000/1 to double my power

omg man get away from jl it's $250 amps for $800., the ts amp i showed u should cost more than jl, the ts has a korean board.. jl as far as i know is china made like my ppi (which was $169 and it does over 1100rms tested) get a ct sounds 1400 or something same thing as jl or close but less $., there are 5 or 6 good amps as good or better than jl for far less $, put $ in a custom ported box and stop giving $ to jl for their name.. if u like spending $ there are other amps u can spend $ on that'll still be cheaper than jl get a sundown they probably made in same building in china as jl.... SSA subs work in sealed, 2 dayton ho subs would be louder sealed than what u have with 1-1.5k.. please stop buying jl only like 1 guy here is still throwing $ at them., read what others have said popwar competes his fu 750s destroyed his car and i think he told u to stop with the jl., they know how stuff is made listen to them not guy trying to sell u stuff at shop..

I have a buddy ready to sell me an amp and sub for 250 the sub is brand new never seen power or screws. I can drop it in my sealed enclosure and sell my current equipment for the same price. Here it is, please give me your thoughts.

Lanzar - VBPW1236D - 12'' 2000 Watts Die-Cast Aluminum Dual 4 Ohm Channel Subwoofer

https://www.amazon.com/Lanzar-OPTI500X2-Optidrive-Competition-Amplifier/dp/B0002YU42I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1504459168&sr=1-1&keywords=lanzar%2Bopti%2Bamp&th=1

omg man get away from jl it's $250 amps for $800., the ts amp i showed u should cost more than jl, the ts has a korean board.. jl as far as i know is china made like my ppi (which was $169 and it does over 1100rms tested) get a ct sounds 1400 or something same thing as jl or close but less $., there are 5 or 6 good amps as good or better than jl for far less $, put $ in a custom ported box and stop giving $ to jl for their name.. if u like spending $ there are other amps u can spend $ on that'll still be cheaper than jl get a sundown they probably made in same building in china as jl.... SSA subs work in sealed, 2 dayton ho subs would be louder sealed than what u have with 1-1.5k.. please stop buying jl only like 1 guy here is still throwing $ at them., read what others have said popwar competes his fu 750s destroyed his car and i think he told u to stop with the jl., they know how stuff is made listen to them not guy trying to sell u stuff at shop..

Wow that's good to know, I told you I was naïve on this subject. I'm about to re read that and do some research. Thanks a lot

NO!! although maynot be much worse than jl amp idk.. please stick to something recommended here.. read some other threads on subs and amps, u will see what peeps say are good.. i was wrong on the thread popwar said something about jl on, can't find right now but read post 10 on this thread from jeff, this guy has 4 18's he make his own subs and even sponsors some spl events he knows what he's talking about.. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifiers/628575-need-advice.html @Popwarhomie @kr15 please tell op not to buy lanzar or jl thanks.. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifiers/628575-need-advice.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BOOMINGRANDPA']NO!! although maynot be much worse than jl amp idk.. please stick to something recommended here.. read some other threads on subs and amps, u will see what peeps say are good.. i was wrong on the thread popwar said something about jl on, can't find right now but read post 10 on this thread from jeff, this guy has 4 18's he make his own subs and even sponsors some spl events he knows what he's talking about.. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifiers/628575-need-advice.html @Popwarhomie @kr15 please tell op not to buy lanzar or jl thanks.. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifiers/628575-need-advice.html[/QUOTE]

This is why I came here brother!! Thanks, I am going to tell my buddy forget it and do some reading on the items listed in this thread.

This is why I came here brother!! Thanks, I am going to tell my buddy forget it and do some reading on the items listed in this thread.
yeah kr used to be on team skar yrs ago he don't use skar sstuff anymore.. i'd rather see u buy a skar 2k amp for $229 thata jl 1k for $800 or whatever they are.. we have guy here mayhem runs 3 or 4 ct sounds amps but if u wanta put out a little $ get twisted sound 1.8k., if u go that big u will have to do big 3 wires under hood.. thats y i was telling u 1 nice sub ported with 1k would be great and u aren't having to redo wires and such, if u want to go that big u can but didn't seem like u wanted to go that way..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.