Noob question: When should you use..........?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Krazykilroy
10+ year member

When is it necessary for a:

Second Battery?

High-output Alternator?

Capacitor??

External Fuse box??

These are things I used to know, but somehow forgot when I stopped driving over a decade ago. Want to put a system in my car, but don't want to not have enough generating power, and I don't want to have 3-mile island in my car just to power up some surface-mount 6x9"s

What are the general rules of thumb??

Max RMS in your vehicle will dictate what additional power you may or may not need. I have my stock alt in my '08 Silverado but I have 2 Kinetik batteries, mainly because I had the space for two under the hood. I'm only running about 1,000 RMS, including 2 10" subs, so I'm not shaking the Earth, but at my age, SQ is more important than serious bumping. All depends on what you are looking for.

Caps are crap.

Don't forget the Big 3.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

no... I would not get an ho alt until you get upwards of 2k... just add a second batt for 1k-2k
Agreed.

Fusing for the added wiring and/or externally fusing for the amp(s) is something that has been talked about before, and can be searched.

The need for a bigger alternator depends on how large the OEM alt is, and how much 'reserve' it has compared to your system requirements.

My truck has a 136A and I am going to be running a system of 2100-2300WRMS, but am starting with just The Big Three and a good AGM battery under the hood. If this doesn't supply the needed voltage, I will prolly just add a second batt before considering upgrading the alt...unless I find a good deal on a used one!

Fusing for the added wiring and/or externally fusing for the amp(s) is something that has been talked about before, and can be searched.
The need for a bigger alternator depends on how large the OEM alt is, and how much 'reserve' it has compared to your system requirements.

My truck has a 136A and I am going to be running a system of 2100-2300WRMS, but am starting with just The Big Three and a good AGM battery under the hood. If this doesn't supply the needed voltage, I will prolly just add a second batt before considering upgrading the alt...unless I find a good deal on a used one!
how much reserve does a typical alt have like what percentage of the original amps? jw

how much reserve does a typical alt have like what percentage of the original amps? jw
While it varies according to several variables, a common rule of thumb is to multiply your alt rating x 40% to determine the basic amount of 'reserve' that is available...

While it varies according to several variables, a common rule of thumb is to multiply your alt rating x 40% to determine the basic amount of 'reserve' that is available...
D~k thanks man appreciate it, i need a bigger alt quick mines only 85 and im trying to push ~1200 rms, (saz 1200), just ugly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.