Question about rear fill (SQ)

brandonloserkid
10+ year member

audiophile
I'm planning out a budget SQ (I know SQ and budget don't really go together) build. I'm curious about rear fill.

Is rear fill necessary? The rear speaker locations in my SUV are in the very rear. They'll actually be behind the subs. They're basically the most rear item in the car.

Is it pointless to use this location, I can't imagine speakers in the very rear facing each other (and facing the sub box) would make for very good imaging, but I'm new to the SQ thing.

Can anyone give me any tips of staging/imaging inside a mid/full size SUV (it's a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe).

Thanks. Feels so good to be back in the game! This weekend was the first time I'd been back on here in 9 years!!!!!

that far back will not be heard at all .if anything the rear doors or nothing at all
That's what I figured. After you and I talked last night I was thinking a lot about rear fill. Today my wife and I went grocery shopping and when I was getting the bags out I was looking at how much room I'll realistically have for a box, then I saw the rear speakers and had a WTF moment.

Maybe I glass the doors and make room for some speakers. If I were to glass the back doors, what would be the optimal position for rear fill?

i'd glass the frt doors and add 2 sets of components .if you really want them in the back ,then just do pods and add some mid woofers for the fill.you wont here them from the frt any way ,it would be just for people sitting in the back seats.

Proper rear fill requires proper processing that isn't exactly cheap.

I'd skip it and focus on the front stage, for now. Once you've perfected the fronts, you can look into adding rears to give the stage more depth and create a more seemingly spacious listening environment.

I'd skip it and focus on the front stage, for now. Once you've perfected the fronts, you can look into adding rears to give the stage more depth and create a more seemingly spacious listening environment.
Ill agree with this statement here..I took my rear fill out for a bit, but once you have it in,and are really into music/good sound,it makes a big difference overall..i put back in, and couldnt be happier:)..as if a surround affect

Agree with above. Rear fill is tricky and should be the last thing added when money is available.

A good sound stage requires proper speaker placement , aiming, and crossover settings. Stock locstions may not be able to give you what you want without spending money on processing power (I.e. time alignment). Even then, simple TA alone cannot make stock locations perfect.

Thanks man. I can hopefully start perfecting my front stage this weekend //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif My sub is on it's way to me now. I'm not sure how great it will do in a SQ environment.

welcome back brandon, im in the same boat, i've been out of the 'purchasing' car audio equipment game for a while now, im looking to do a decent setup in another one of my supercoupes and find myself in the same scenario

if it helps any, i usually find that a decent coaxil set in the rear with the high end cut (for example maybe a 12db/slope above say 2khz - 8khz) sounds most appealing to me, i find that it adds 'volume' but doesn't take away from the dynamics of the front stage, and with a full vehicle at times my rear passengers enjoy it as well since my fronts are mounted so low in the door, i know that won't help you any for an suv but may give you an idea

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.