Right speakers louder than left?? More questions...

Participant count
  • Participant list

dirtbagz89
10+ year member

dirtyTHIRTY
Hey,

I just installed a 4 channel amp in my car. I was playing with the fade on my head unit and noticed my right side speakers are both slightly louder than my left sides. What could be making this happen?

Also, before I installed the amp I was just powering it with the head unit. I noticed a couple weeks ago I was getting no bass from my speakers...but now with their own amp I am getting bass. The only thing with bass before was my sub which has it's own amp. Is there a problem with my HU??

Thanks.

Also, before I installed the amp I was just powering it with the head unit. I noticed a couple weeks ago I was getting no bass from my speakers...but now with their own amp I am getting bass. The only thing with bass before was my sub which has it's own amp. Is there a problem with my HU??
Possible that your HU wasn't able to give the speakers enough watts to produce bass, but your amp is.

Would look at rms watts of HU per channel compared to your new amp. Betting it's like 22rms on HU compared to 75+ on amp.

RCA's are matching up.

Colter got it alomst exact... HU does 20RMS, new amp does 75.

I've got all kinds of things going on. Last time I was in there the bass sounded all messed up and the volume was lower than usual.

I have noise coming out of my right front speaker when the car is on and the volume is at 0...but when the car is off and the HU is on I get no noise.

I've got a hissing sound...kind of like deflating...cant tell if its from the amp or HU, too hard to tell but when I put my foot on the gas it gets louder.

It's like WW3 in this car right now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

RCA's are matching up.
I've got a hissing sound...kind of like deflating...cant tell if its from the amp or HU, too hard to tell but when I put my foot on the gas it gets louder.

(
Alt whine? If so possible grounding problem.

The best thing to do when posting problems on these forums is details, details, details.

Model of car, alt size, audio equipment model #'s, etc. Pictures help even more.

Also, where did you get this amp? Was it used? If everything worked before you installed this "new" amp, then the problem obviously lies with the amp and/or it's wiring.

Alt whine? If so possible grounding problem.
The best thing to do when posting problems on these forums is details, details, details.

Model of car, alt size, audio equipment model #'s, etc. Pictures help even more.

Also, where did you get this amp? Was it used? If everything worked before you installed this "new" amp, then the problem obviously lies with the amp and/or it's wiring.
Everything was fine before the speaker amp. Before this my speakers played fine with the HU powering them...there was no bass from them but I liked it because I like just getting bass from the sub. I checked the ground and moved it a couple times with no difference...still getting the noise. Could it be from certain wires being too close together?

2008 Pontiac G5...stock alt.

Front: 6.5" Coaxial Alpine Type S

Rear: 6x9" Coaxial Alpine Type S

Amp: Vibe Slick A1 4 Channel

Everything was fine before the speaker amp. Before this my speakers played fine with the HU powering them...there was no bass from them but I liked it because I like just getting bass from the sub. I checked the ground and moved it a couple times with no difference...still getting the noise. Could it be from certain wires being too close together?
2008 Pontiac G5...stock alt.

Front: 6.5" Coaxial Alpine Type S

Rear: 6x9" Coaxial Alpine Type S

Amp: Vibe Slick A1 4 Channel
I'm guessing you had to reroute all the speakers wires to the new amp. So it's possible you've got one or more of those wires next to a power or ground line? Also, did you run all new wires or did you add onto the existing wires? Maybe a bad connection?

Always possible you got a bad amp, either new or used.

I'm guessing you had to reroute all the speakers wires to the new amp. So it's possible you've got one or more of those wires next to a power or ground line? Also, did you run all new wires or did you add onto the existing wires? Maybe a bad connection?
Always possible you got a bad amp, either new or used.
I'll have to look at everything again. I ran all new wires. It's just the front right making that noise. The amp was purchased brand new from Sonic Electronix on Ebay. I didn't really plan on buying one but I was just playing around and offered $120 shipped for it and they accepted. They sell it for $150 on their site.

first problem is the amp. Vibe is pretty poor quality. Powerbass would have been a better choice.

fader is front/rear

balance is left/right

if your fader changes left/right then you mixed up your RCA's and your gains aren't set the same. don't just relay on visual settings - you need to play a tone and adjust until both measure equally with a DMM on the output. you'd be amazed at the difference in the knob setting.

the crossover settings - what are they set at currently?

slicka1.jpg

the input range is 0.2V - 6V.

The JVC has 5V preouts

your gains should be near the Min setting and you can use almost full volume on your head unit.

first problem is the amp. Vibe is pretty poor quality.
Yes...sadly I have found this out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I'd rather just go back to no amp and use my HU to power the speakers.

the crossover settings - what are they set at currently?

the input range is 0.2V - 6V.

The JVC has 5V preouts

your gains should be near the Min setting and you can use almost full volume on your head unit.
I haven't even bothered with the crossovers on the amp. My HU has everything...crossover settings, Digital 9 Band iEQ, Advanced DSP w/ BBE High-Definition sound.

I have my gains set near minimum but there is no way I can get anywhere near full volume without losing my hearing and having it sound terrible. 20 out of 50 is pretty **** loud and this is from someone who listens to metal 80% of the time.

I should have just stayed with the HU powering the speakers.

just set the gains at full minimum then. keep EQ boost settings low.

the Type-S don't sound very good anyway, so they are another weak link. nice HU though.

so your amp crossovers are set to Flat and Bass Boost is set to 0dB?

just set the gains at full minimum then. keep EQ boost settings low.the Type-S don't sound very good anyway, so they are another weak link. nice HU though.

so your amp crossovers are set to Flat and Bass Boost is set to 0dB?
I got the speakers for $40 shipped and they retail for almost twice that so it's no big deal I guess. I'm just not good with knowing what brands to buy so I thought I'd try Alpine speakers too since I have a Type R sub.

Yes amp is set to flat and 0db.

I'm sure the amp is better than HU power. I'm also guessing your issues are installation problems. Check all connections, cables, wires, etc. What did you use for wires? New or used? Adapters? Double check speaker wiring, phase, wiggle RCA connections. Check power wiring and gains settings.

Have someone who knows systems look at your rig and diagnose it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.