Schumacher Electric auto battery charger

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kryptonitewhite
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Finally listened to you all and got a cheap charger at Walmart, 6A charge maintainer, microprocessor controlled, 72W 6amp fast charge 4A medium and 2amp slow 6V/12V automatic.

Hooked it up and let it sit over night. In the AM the remote unlock didnt work so I knew it wasnt charged. Looked at the charger and it said full charge. I unplugged it and tried to start it, dead. Reconnected, put back to fast charge, it started...the fan revved higher and higher then shut off. I unplugged and reset, put on slow charge, fan stayed low reve so I left it for 2 hours. Came back, said full charge, but was dead.

Gonna take the cheapie back today

CIMG6438.jpg

ive ran the 15a version for over a year, never had an issue out of it. and the 6a has been used for a very long time by quite a few people that i know with no problem

sounds like its something wrong with your ride not the charger.

You could have a bad relay also..One of my Hondas did,and acted as yours.Something to check out also,sometimes you can tap on it with the key in on position.It turned rt over everytime I tapped on it just under the dash in the fuse panel..little black box/Relay.Worth a try?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

pulled all three batts and brought them in, charger is on the starter batt, it kicks in for a few mins, then off for a few, I'll keep checking with the DMM...hope I'm getting somewhere!

CIMG6450.jpg

CIMG6451.jpg

CIMG6453-2.jpg

so theres a little trick to getting completyely discharged AGMs to start taking a charge. The charger has 2 ways of shutting off, sometimes as soon as it starts charging the cooling fan gets louder and louder till it clicks and stops charging for a bit..then it kicks back in for a while and shuts off again, other times it thinks/says the battery has a full charge then you have to disconnect then reconnect until it kicks off again, process repeat. Once the battery gets a small charge then the process stops or becomes much less frequent and then it takes over a day to get over a 12V charge. So far I brought 1 battery back to life, the 2nd large 100aH is now starting to take charge...hasn't kicked off for a while. Tomorrow I will try to get the little starter battery going again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.