Supercharging the 2003 Monte Carlo SS

ok, here's some pics of the engine and the disassembly... me and a friend of mine who is a mechanic are doing the project. Im mostly a helping hand here, he's the one who really knows what he's doin.

heres the engine, 3800 Series II supercharged. 89,000 miles, pulled from a totalled 98 bonneville. Pretty much chopped out, but the parts I need are in good condition, just need cleaning.

n506835390_5208574_5735.jpg

everything disassembled. Lots of parts left over. They didnt drain the coolant or all the oil, was a HUGE mess, make sure before you buy and engine they drain everything out.

n506835390_5208577_6037.jpg

the remaining block: Was surprised at the size of the cylanders, but hey, with 3.8 liters of displacement, gotta be pretty big. pushrods are left in because they have to go into my engine in the same order, so this will make the swap a little easier. Harmonic balancer is on pretty tight, our air wrench wasnt powerful enough to get it off, so we are trying to find a good way to get the center bolt off.

n506835390_5208586_7846.jpg

the heads: pretty dirty right now, coated in oil still. I am most likely going to have them rebuilt, new springs and rocker arms, should add some more power to the engine, so expecting around 255, 260 when Im done.

n506835390_5208581_6948.jpg

and finally the Eaton M90 Supercharger... should add about 50 hp,50 ft lbs of torque. The throttle body was left attached as it is also required in the swap. looks in good condition, needs a little clean up but ultimately in good shape. popping this on will open up a lot more mods for the car for the future.

n506835390_5208590_8754.jpg

Its a good project, especially if it doesnt cost a lot to do. The good thing about Supercharged v6 is it can keep up with a lot on the road, and still get 26 mpg on the highway if you dont beat on it. Plus there a re quite a few supporting vendors for parts and upgrades. Not to mention the 3800 v6 has been one of GM's best motors for longevity.

You wont stop there, but its a great place to start. Its like crack, I swore I was going to stop after exhaust and intake, then after I put the 3.4 on i wanted more. Cam going in in a few weeks.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Interesting. Pics are a must! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I've always like Monte Carlo's, especially the boxy 80's. I dig the new ones, just wish they made them rear wheel drive and V8 powered. If they did I'd take one in a heartbeat over the GTO...
Just picked up an 85 a few weeks ago. Love it. Not the SS, but still a steal for the price.

img0759mk7.jpg

Its a good project, especially if it doesnt cost a lot to do. The good thing about Supercharged v6 is it can keep up with a lot on the road, and still get 26 mpg on the highway if you dont beat on it. Plus there a re quite a few supporting vendors for parts and upgrades. Not to mention the 3800 v6 has been one of GM's best motors for longevity.You wont stop there, but its a great place to start. Its like crack, I swore I was going to stop after exhaust and intake, then after I put the 3.4 on i wanted more. Cam going in in a few weeks.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
**** good 1/4 mile time, congrats.

How much did that engine set you back?
700, got it pretty cheap, planning on selling the wiring harness, and the rest of the parts and block to get some of that back. And yeah, I'm just starting. Gonna get a lot more done i think. Most of it after college probably, next year when I leave, this is gonna get covered and wait for four years till I get back to drive it.

Hell yeah, i was gonna do it to my intrigue, but it wasnt worth spending more than what the car is worth.
i was going to turbo my s10, but it would cost 1/2 what the truck is worth. decided to stick with my 225 hp for now. cold air intake and high flow exhaust helped some.

yeah those are on my list to get next. I need to get my PCM reflashed though, so theres like 125 so Im not gonna get anything for a couple months most likely.

i was going to turbo my s10, but it would cost 1/2 what the truck is worth. decided to stick with my 225 hp for now. cold air intake and high flow exhaust helped some.
An S10 is a natural candidate for a V8 swap. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Im not doing an entire motor swap because the N/A engines have a higher compression ratio, so supercharging an N/A car give you 5% more power.

Hope you have a good tuner, and plenty of gaskets.

If you are planning for the 500 whp mark, you are going to have to run lower compression anyway. Might as well drop in the complete unit.

Good luck though.

Hope you have a good tuner, and plenty of gaskets.

If you are planning for the 500 whp mark, you are going to have to run lower compression anyway. Might as well drop in the complete unit.

Good luck though.
yeah, we have an autozone that has em, so Im ok there. And we'll see when I get to that point, Id rather keep using the engine with 34,000 miles than one with 89,000 miles. When I need to do more work, I will on that block, its in much better condition.

ran into a snag, if anyone has the belt drive schematic for a 98 bonneville, that would be much appreciated. Also I need a diagram to lets say an 02 grand prix GTP same 3.8 liter supercharged engine. There might have been some differences I didnt expect. I need to compare to see if I need some different parts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.