What battery do you have under your hood?

I have had an HC 800 and 1400, and currently run an HC1200 and 2400. All of these have performed much better than I could have hoped. The 800 and 1400 ran my Mitsubishi Eclipse with it's supremely tiny alternator holding about 1800 watts at bay with zero issues. I will always be a fan of Kinetik.

Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. porksoda, as Imtjnotu suggested, given the electrical demands of your truck, a YellowTop would be a more appropriate choice. An appropriately-sized RedTop will offer plenty of cranking amps, but it is not designed for deep-cycle use, which would include car audio applications. Both batteries do come with three-year, free replacement warranties, while our BlueTops come with two-year, free replacement warranties. Internally, BlueTops are identical to their YellowTops counterparts, except for the 34M BlueTop, which is the marine equivalent of our Group 34 RedTop starting battery.

Since you mentioned the “g” word, I should clarify that Optima batteries are not “gel” batteries, but Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries. They can be treated and charged just like normal lead-acid batteries, but “gel” or even “gel/AGM” charger settings should be avoided, as they may not fully-charge an Optima and could damage it over time. If your truck sits for long periods of time, either a quality maintenance charger or a quick disconnect (for a fully-charged battery) would be a good idea.

Our batteries shouldn't be charged at a rate higher than 10 amps and when any battery swells or vents during charging, it is typically due to overcharging or sulfation that has built up because the battery was deeply-discharged and left sitting in that state for an extended period of time. Many of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged. My truck starts every day on one such “dead” YellowTop that was returned to us under warranty.

Proper voltage maintenance is the key to long battery life, regardless of manufacturer. When batteries are discharged below 12.4 volts and allowed to sit, sulfation will diminish both performance and lifespan. That makes a quality battery maintainer a good investment for any vehicle that doesn't see regular use or vehicles that may significantly discharge their batteries during use. Fully-charged, our RedTops will measure about 12.6-12.8 volts and our YellowTops will measure about 13.0-13.2 volts. Fully-charged voltage ranges will vary from one manufacturer to the next and some manufacturers will void your warranty if your battery has been discharged below a specific minimum voltage level, so it's a good idea to check that information out before making a purchase. You can read our warranty information here.

Jim McIlvaine

eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

Optima Batteries - Automobiles and Parts - Milwaukee, WI | Facebook

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

porksoda

10+ year member
Dakota GOD!!!
porksoda
nm
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date