China buildhouse sub pics

[quote name='Souldrop']Experience is the best teacher of them all.... not to mention the money loss should add a bit of sting as well. @adulbrich It would not hurt to read up on some things before you bite the bullet. I would review the physics of damped oscillators and then start looking for literature directly related to speaker/subwoofer design. The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook is an ok one to leaf through.

If you're still plan on being an engineer learning to thoroughly research a problem before throwing money at it would be one skill that definitely sets you ahead of most young engineers.[/QUOTE] i know first hand. ive fucked alot of stuff up, lol. im older now. plan and execute.. lol

[quote name='Souldrop']Experience is the best teacher of them all.... not to mention the money loss should add a bit of sting as well. @adulbrich It would not hurt to read up on some things before you bite the bullet. I would review the physics of damped oscillators and then start looking for literature directly related to speaker/subwoofer design. The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook is an ok one to leaf through.

If you're still plan on being an engineer learning to thoroughly research a problem before throwing money at it would be one skill that definitely sets you ahead of most young engineers.[/QUOTE]

I've got the full Loudspeaker design cookbook bookmarked and I've got a print book on the subject of loudspeakers too. I do need to do more research though, you're right.

[quote name='papermaker']as far as heavy *** cones. to make them stronger they just put alot more material and press them. no thank you.
I would start with a low mass thinner cone and design a lightweight lower cost carbon fiber dust cap that strengthens the cone not just sits on top.

you can order enough fiber and resin for 100 bucks to make 4 dust caps that are way stronger than the paper cone and about 1/4 the weight.
CARBON FIBER - GRAPHITE - KEVLAR the 2x2 twill 12k is much thicker/stronger. 12k would be ideal for a single layer dustcap
the above is just to get your ideas going this is the stuff Id use..
CARBON FIBER - GRAPHITE - KEVLAR the 19.7oz for structural and if you wanted to do like a hybrib you could layer it on top the tuff stuff. :)[/QUOTE]

I thought about making kevlar cones with products from US composites. It's in an old MAF thread

if you want to do the 3" coil version you can probably get someone to custom wind you some coils for prototyping there not cheap and you gotta order alot, but there is a market for stuff like that people like to modify rebuild ****. lol

i found this a while back cool little program. its nothing set in stone but its accurate. for the flat windings they can flatten it up to 2 1/2-3 times its original width to make the length you need but remember it affect BL as you have less wingdings in the gap so you need a larger gap..

I thought about making kevlar cones with products from US composites. It's in an old MAF thread
You'll need to buy the special scissors from them to cut Kevlar cloth. You'll want to work on a hot day for the epoxy to lie down nice (if you're not building a vacuum bag system).

You'll need to buy the special scissors from them to cut Kevlar cloth. You'll want to work on a hot day for the epoxy to lie down nice (if you're not building a vacuum bag system).
I decided not to do it right now. I might do it later in life, or at least try

let us know how it goes. those huge 4" coils need some serious power to get up to those levels. you could probably daily it with a 8k. maybe try 2 18s with those huge *** coils just for shits.. you definitively need a strong cone, but i cant see using a 500 gram cone.

Meh, doesn't look better than what I've got right now
Oh is this a looks thing? I'd go this route then.
107193d1449350923-tc-sounds-lms-15-curved-box-amp-2-band-peq-sub7.jpg

Happen to have 2 matching motors that could be built? Was gonna grab some sda3's since on presale but after further thought I said why in the hell am I buying the same old cookie cutter subs that I've owned many times before just with different logo on cap..
Cookie cutter, excuse me? How the hell is a sub designed and built in the USA from the ground up a cookie cutter? We don't open the catalog and start ordering things.

whats wrong with what you have now?
Idk, I just want more.

Oh is this a looks thing? I'd go this route then.
107193d1449350923-tc-sounds-lms-15-curved-box-amp-2-band-peq-sub7.jpg
Ok, no it isn't all about looks obviously. It had pillars of circular neo and what looked to be a real steel top plate. Similar design to the v1 Wardens

I was looking to go back to the radial style like DDZ's

Cookie cutter, excuse me? How the hell is a sub designed and built in the USA from the ground up a cookie cutter? We don't open the catalog and start ordering things.
Was waiting for you to reply to that

maybe its the box? those warden 21s should be putting up 158 in that truck..
Yes, yes, that seems to be the general consensus. I'll be re-doing the wall after high school. Will probably just use the equipment I have right now unless I find something better before then.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.