15k Budget Options

That is his website and it looks like he is in Forth Worth.

Also yeah depends on what you want to do. With that kind of budget definitely make sure you get all the sound deadening you can get as well. Resonix is rated the best across the board right now.

What is your main goals for the System? SQ or SPL? Have you had systems in the past? If yes, What did you have?
SQ is primary concern, but want it to bang too. I like punchy base, so not averse to smaller subs as long as they're good. I did have a system back in the early 2000's with mostly pioneer and MTX stuff. Mostly remember it rattling my shitbird car and not sounding the best, but it had a sweet detachable face!

Can I just be real with you for a second. Saying you want to spend $15K is ridiculous, and just setting yourself up to be cheated. If you want a system like that, then cool go for it, but don't tell people a number like that. This is like that critical audio. That was basic equipment back in the day, and some idiot athlete had them put it in his car, and bragged about having a $90K system, and it was only a thousand bucks or so worth of equipment.

If you really want to spend that much, you need to find where the professional athletes go to do their stuff. Seriously, if you can find where the Cowboys or Texans players get theirs done, they talk amongst each other, (might be able to search it), that would be a good bet.

The only speakers I can even think of that are priced up there are the Focal Utopias. The problem with doing that is they just don't make sense. You're going for the last bit of clarity that you won't ever be able to notice in an SUV.
* You're going to need $1K+ for sound deadener. Between labor, the size of your vehicle, and you would do not just the mat but also the skin, probably closer to $2k, maybe even a little more. If you're in something like a full size, a tahoe or even a suburban, I could even see $3k for a fully done setup (with labor). Otherwise top of the line equipment doesn't make sense.
* Alternator and battery with wiring, $1K. Depending on subs, you might need a second battery. Big 3 is a little more, could put you about $1500.
* If you want speakers like Utopia, you can use em, but you'll need top of the line amps and high quality cables. You'll only want digital quality audio, HD radio, maybe a hard drive setup to store for that bitrate, or it's not worth it. You can get clear music, but it makes it a little more difficult than just copying it to a flash drive and being done.
* I'm sure you want more than the factory mounting locations. If I had that budget, I would redo speaker placement. Custom made fiberglass door panels alone could be $1K for fully done on the high end, for just one set, once they are fully finished looking great.

If that was me, I'm going with Zapco audiophile series amps. (I'm really limited on my knowledge of top tier stuff though). You might be able to look around and find someone on craigslist or facebook marketplace that does really nice custom fiberglass work.

If you wanted an all out system, you could realistically spend more than half of that $15K budget on not audio equipment. It's certainly a high end budget, but I would still plan this all out before you do it.
I think this makes a lot of sense - I reached out prior to starting this and was told to be up front with my budget? Maybe that was just poor advice.

Spend a good portion of that on deadening and how/where speakers are intalled...that matters more than the cost of the speakers..

A great install will make average speakers sound great...a poor install can make the best speakers very disappointing...
I think that is part of my problem though, I can look through a crutchfield listing and see what they're priced at, but I don't know what an average speaker is these days.

That is his website and it looks like he is in Forth Worth.

Also yeah depends on what you want to do. With that kind of budget definitely make sure you get all the sound deadening you can get as well. Resonix is rated the best across the board right now.
I have family up in Denton - maybe that's the play here. Thanks for the info.

I think that is part of my problem though, I can look through a crutchfield listing and see what they're priced at, but I don't know what an average speaker is these days.
I had a set of $50 recoil components sound great in my car doors...when I replaced them with cdt components I gave the recoils to a buddy at work...they sound like a hot mess now 😂 fine a reputable brand (focal, cdt, jbl, morel, etc) give them a proper home and all will be good...between deadening, dsp tuning and doing an active 2 or 3 way any solid brand will sound great

id get these...

Screenshot (1208).png

I think this makes a lot of sense - I reached out prior to starting this and was told to be up front with my budget? Maybe that was just poor advice.
IMO, I would just say you have a healthy budget. Get a general idea of what you want to do, and go in there and say, "I want to know what the best system you can install with all the extras would be". (If you go in there with a new SUV, they won't look at you like you are wasting their time). Tell em you're shopping around, and want a quote, and you want to know what kind of speakers they will use. See if they bring up sound deadener, a new alternator, if they ask you what kind of subs you want, (sealed vs ported). Get a feel for them, and see if they are trying to figure out your best system, or their best system. See if they will put any of it on paper. I WOULD THINK that alone should give you an idea of who you want to go with. You can always adjust it.

If you were thinking about Utopias, then go to the focal dealer locator and start there. If there was any part of this setup you want to have it on record that a qualified installer put in, that would be them. I used a random Dallas address, and found 20 dealers within 50 miles. (Car Toys Inc is one that I know of, and I'm nowhere near that, but don't take that as an endorsement).
(That's a lot of money to me. If that was me, you could also look up each one at BBB.org. You can see if they have many complaints, and how long they have been in business).

I can always install a blaupunkt and Jensen system for $12K

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...