Carputer 101

Just putting a regular desktop in your car and plugging it into an AC voltage adapter is probably the worst possible way to make a CarPC.

If the PC is at all powerful it is very possible that your AC voltage converter simply can not supply enough power, so the overload light comes on. Is it one of the cheap ones that plugs into a cigarette lighter? If so...get rid of it it's useless.

You can make a voltage regulator work, you just need to buy a high current capacity one and wire it directly to your battery like you would an amp. Although again I wouldn't recommend this for anybody. AC adapters create a lot of noise and are unnecessary.

Ideally you want to power your computer with a power supply that runs off of DC rather than AC. Most of them have built in start up and shut down controllers that operate through a remote wire just like your amps or head unit.

Just putting a regular desktop in your car and plugging it into an AC voltage adapter is probably the worst possible way to make a CarPC.
If the PC is at all powerful it is very possible that your AC voltage converter simply can not supply enough power, so the overload light comes on. Is it one of the cheap ones that plugs into a cigarette lighter? If so...get rid of it it's useless.

You can make a voltage regulator work, you just need to buy a high current capacity one and wire it directly to your battery like you would an amp. Although again I wouldn't recommend this for anybody. AC adapters create a lot of noise and are unnecessary.

Ideally you want to power your computer with a power supply that runs off of DC rather than AC. Most of them have built in start up and shut down controllers that operate through a remote wire just like your amps or head unit.

which PSU would work with that?? I was told the M2-ATX would.........?

Hardware

Base processor

Sempron 3000+ 2.0 GHz:

333 MHz Front side bus

Socket A

Chipset

Via KM400A

Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus

Motherboard Name: A7V8X-LA

Compaq motherboard name: Kelut-GL6E

Memory

Component Attributes

Memory Installed 256 MB (1 X 256)

Maximum allowed 1.0 GB (2 X 512 MB) requires the replacement of the installed 256 MB DIMM

Speed supported PC2700 MB/sec

Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM

DIMM slots Two

Open DIMM slots One

Hard drive

40 GB

5400 rpm

CD-RW/DVD combo drive

48X/32X/48X/16X

Type Attributes

CD write 48X

CD rewrite 32X

CD read 48X

DVD read 16X

Modem

PCI K56flex data/fax modem

Video graphics

Integrated with up to 64 MB allocated video memory

Sound/audio

* Controller: AC97 audio

Network (LAN)

Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface

You told me a long time ago that the M2-ATX would be ok with this. (same PC and all...) will it not work anymore?
The m2atx should work fine. However I suggested the new OPUS because opus has a better rep & it is more powerful in case you do decide to upgrade.

Are you just throwing an old compaq computer in your car? lol
since I have it sittin around catching dust... why not?

The m2atx should work fine. However I suggested the new OPUS because opus has a better rep & it is more powerful in case you do decide to upgrade.
yea as said before, It's an older PC and if I plan to upgrade (if I do at all) I'd probably buy a whole new kit or whatever from mp3car.com. The only thing I bought as of this moment is an 8" monitor just to get a feel of it and to see if I'll like it or not... thats why I had that inverter. I borrowed it from a friend. but I guess it was to weak or whatever... meh... I know the opus is better but i'll look into it later so I guess i'll order that M2-ATX and we'll go from there.

since I have it sittin around catching dust... why not?
If you're just using it for parts, go for it. But don't just set the compaq case and all in your trunk, that looks so bad.

I just think if you're going to do something like a CarPC you should do it all the way. Don't rush or compromise on functionality/appearance for the sake of making it easy and getting it done quickly. A CarPC can be great if done right, or it can be ugly, useless, and a pain in the ass if not.

If you're just using it for parts, go for it. But don't just set the compaq case and all in your trunk, that looks so bad.
I just think if you're going to do something like a CarPC you should do it all the way. Don't rush or compromise on functionality/appearance for the sake of making it easy and getting it done quickly. A CarPC can be great if done right, or it can be ugly, useless, and a pain in the ass if not.
aint dat da truf, dont ever do an afro-engineer install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

Mine's a pain in the ass right now, but it's not the PC's fault.

My car is having problems starting, I think it's something with a solenoid. Almost every time I go to start the car it will click a few times before actually engaging the starter. Sometimes just once and it's done, sometimes a few times, sometimes it just won't stop clicking and I have to let it sit for a few minutes and try again.

Anyway... every time this happens every electronic device in the car gets reset. The trip odometer resets to 0, all the lights go off, and if my computer was already started (which I do 99% of the time) it will turn off, but regain power so quickly that it doesn't actually reboot the PC. So the fans still spin but I have to actually pop the trunk and pull the ATX plug on the motherboard to get it to shut off manually then start the car again.

Mine's a pain in the ass right now, but it's not the PC's fault.
My car is having problems starting, I think it's something with a solenoid. Almost every time I go to start the car it will click a few times before actually engaging the starter. Sometimes just once and it's done, sometimes a few times, sometimes it just won't stop clicking and I have to let it sit for a few minutes and try again.

Anyway... every time this happens every electronic device in the car gets reset. The trip odometer resets to 0, all the lights go off, and if my computer was already started (which I do 99% of the time) it will turn off, but regain power so quickly that it doesn't actually reboot the PC. So the fans still spin but I have to actually pop the trunk and pull the ATX plug on the motherboard to get it to shut off manually then start the car again.
you really should run a button to the front of your car inside so you have a reset button and a power button, in those "emergency" times

of course im not going to mount the case in there... I was just asking about powering this thing... if you wanted to know about me building a case I would have said so... lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...