FIBERGLASS - Does the ish not cure in the cold? NOT DRYING

WOT

Banned
So I decided last night to get a headstart on my project, @ 2am I layed down some tinfoil and tape and layed 2 layers of fiberglass onto my dash/sail pods.

The car was hot inside, dunno the temp, but its COLD outside, like -3. The car wouldve stayed warm for a while no? I figured when I woke up, the glass woulda been rock solid (8hours)

But it doesnt appear to have dried much at all, still felt like a wet cloth wen I touched it

I just started up the car again to get it smokin warm in there.

I definetely used enuf hardner though, more than enough, used 1/2 a small tube of hardner from a 1l jug, on about 400ml of resin

you are going to need more heat in there in order to help the cure process of the resin. what brand items are you using?

if you have a space heater you could take the sail panels out of the car and glass them then sit them infront of a space heater to help the curing process.

if not, try using even more hardener. if not, wait till spring. :/

I cant take the initial mould out of my car, Im making a very shape here, I need atleast this first layer to dry in the car so I can have the basic dash shape

try taking a blow dryer on a hot setting to it to see if that will at least help it on the curing process. if not, then you are pretty much going to have to bake your garage with a space heater in order to get the temperature up enough so the resin can cure.

there is this one guy that goes by the username Memphis on fiberglassforums.com that does a lot of fiberglassing even when it's freezing outside. he usually uses a space heater and isulating areas to heat up his work space in order to fiberglass under cold weather.

In the winter you have to mix it HOT AS FUCK... do it in small batches to so it's workable and doesn't gel too fast.

Also, use a heat gun... portable heater... hair dryer... to help evenly cure the mold.

nG

From one Canadian to another, fibreglass has to be done in above freezing, minimum. I build waterslides for a living and use fibreglass on a daily basis. Since you have it laid out already, if you want to try and save it, take a heat gun or a halogen lamp and place it it over the glass to help cure it. You can also take some MEKP in a small spray bottle and lightly mist the glass a little more to kick it. Just don't spray the MEKP near the heat source!!! Try not to spray too much, because it will make the glass more brittle.

Well I just warmed the hell out of the car and the bottom of the mould (had the dash heat going) and got the car fairly hot, and threw in my moms little shitty space heater hopefully just to keep the car warm.

If it aint hard in 2 hours, I'll get out there with the hair dryer. Cant find my heat gun, I was thining about spreading more hardner to, but didnt know if I should, I cant spray it, as its inside my car in a tight spot, Id have to try and brush it on lol, which wouldnt woork well

Took my fiberglass 2 weeks to dry (from my build) since it was piss cold in colorado. GL. **** ***** doing in the cold. I'm defintly mixing in more hardner next time

I bought a gallon of hardener with my last purchase of 10gallons of resin...

I like to have enough //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

nG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.