Is my math right ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

hondamikey
10+ year member

Ok so to start I'm getting ready to install my old system in my new truck. I have 2 JL Audio 12w3v2d4s powered buy a Zapco 650 6 channel. If my math is right running them in parallel should drop me to 1 ohm right? The amp is 1 ohm stable at 175 watts x 2 but when bridged its 350 watts x1 @ 2 ohms. Again I think my math is right but want to make sure. Any help would be great and I would also like to hear how you would wire the system! Again any and all help would be great!!

You can't do 1 ohm bridged because it's only 2 ohm stable. Your only option is run 1 speaker per channel @ 2 ohm parallel or run both on 1 channel 1 ohm parallel.

Link to the amplifier specs?

If it is 1 ohm stable while running two channels, I'm assuming the it internally parallels the outputs for those two channels. Which would then make each channel see .5 ohm. ..Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, or what is meant by your 1 ohm stable - two channel post.

You can wire them in series, make it so each driver is 8ohm, then parallel the drivers together, and bridge it. So each channel would then see 2ohm.

Like I said your best bet is to wire them 1 ohm on 1 channel or 1 sub per channel @ 4 ohm... You won't be able to get 1 or 2 ohms out of this amplifier the way you want to it will protect like crazy any other way.

anyway you do it your either underpowered or your running the amp at a lower then the recommended impedance load, it seems you may need a bigger amp to get all you can from the speakers, but I have no exp with that amp so maybe someone knows something I don't.

Total Power (14.4V @ 1kHz) Power

Dynamic (4Ω mono) 540 watts

Rated Power / Channel T.H.D.+N

50 watts x 6 @ 4Ω

104 watts x 6 @ 2Ω .2%

Max Power

90 watts x 4 @ 2Ω

175 watts x 2 @ 1Ω .2%

Im trying to find you a link to the rest.

You can wire them in series, make it so each driver is 8ohm, then parallel the drivers together, and bridge it. So each channel would then see 2ohm.
Thats what I thought but the last time I had them hooked up was almost 5 years ago and couldn't remember how I had them ran.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.