Power wire to amp getting hot. Ideas?

Yes, try a 250a or 300a fuse.

Double wire from the batteries should be fine. Your alternator will not put out enough to max out a 1/0 cable unless it's 2 alternators or something that puts out well over 250a. Or you're talking a long run

You're not understanding that current pulls on the amp dyno are incorrect. That's literally a sine wave to a static load, WAY more current draw. If you're hard clipping your amp that may be a good indicator of why there's so much heat.

If you're willing to invest money I suggest investing $65 into a portable oscilloscope like the dso nano. a DC clamp meter is also a good investment

Yes, try a 250a or 300a fuse.
Double wire from the batteries should be fine. Your alternator will not put out enough to max out a 1/0 cable unless it's 2 alternators or something that puts out well over 250a. Or you're talking a long run

You're not understanding that current pulls on the amp dyno are incorrect. That's literally a sine wave to a static load, WAY more current draw. If you're hard clipping your amp that may be a good indicator of why there's so much heat.

If you're willing to invest money I suggest investing $65 into a portable oscilloscope like the dso nano. a DC clamp meter is also a good investment
Re tad did

Don’t be lazy about doubling up from the alternator. I don’t remeber your battery setup or if it’s an HO alt, but giving more space for juice to flow through all around is def better. Your alt recharges your batts, and if your over 180 amps on a regular basis, then from alt to batt to amp doubled. If you have a second battery, or multiple good batteries that are overkill for your current setup and you don’t bang on your system regularly, you should be able to get away with just from the aux batteries. Just know either your alt might have a hard time keeping up, or your wires will get hot from the alt will now start getting hot, if your over 180 amps or 2500 Watts.

You want your electrical to be up to par for performance and like longevity of your system

Don’t be lazy about doubling up from the alternator. I don’t remeber your battery setup or if it’s an HO alt, but giving more space for juice to flow through all around is def better. Your alt recharges your batts, and if your over 180 amps on a regular basis, then from alt to batt to amp doubled. If you have a second battery, or multiple good batteries that are overkill for your current setup and you don’t bang on your system regularly, you should be able to get away with just from the aux batteries. Just know either your alt might have a hard time keeping up, or your wires will get hot from the alt will now start getting hot, if your over 180 amps or 2500 Watts.
You want your electrical to be up to par for performance and like longevity of your system
Yea I talked to a guy on the phone, he said to put some 300a fuses.(I met him when i bought my alt from Nate) Set up is:

300amp hairpin alt about 200+ @ idle.

3 1/2 ft between these

Group 31 start battery 65aH

8ft between these w/ 200a fuse at both ends

2x Parralleled Power Sonic 100aH Gel batteries

About 3ft to the amp with a fuse midway on power

Ground follows the power wire all the way back to the Alternator.

Was suggested to double my ground from the amp, one to the frame, one to the rear Batts. Add another ground to the frame from the rear Batts. Upgrade fuses to 300 amp.

And yea for the most part I have it blasting every where I go lol... I only keep it down when my girl is with me cuz she don't like it too much.

I'm trying to clamp test it's watts and amp draw right now

Yea I talked to a guy on the phone, he said to put some 300a fuses.(I met him when i bought my alt from Nate) Set up is:

300amp hairpin alt about 200+ @ idle.

3 1/2 ft between these

Group 31 start battery 65aH

8ft between these w/ 200a fuse at both ends

2x Parralleled Power Sonic 100aH Gel batteries

About 3ft to the amp with a fuse midway on power

Ground follows the power wire all the way back to the Alternator.

Was suggested to double my ground from the amp, one to the frame, one to the rear Batts. Add another ground to the frame from the rear Batts. Upgrade fuses to 300 amp.

And yea for the most part I have it blasting every where I go lol... I only keep it down when my girl is with me cuz she don't like it too much.

I'm trying to clamp test it's watts and amp draw right now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.