Sound processor

Brax1942

CarAudio.com Newbie
Arkansas
Looking into using a sound processor with an iPad mini head unit. What would be a good sound processor that is capable of running a pair of 3 way component speakers with a sub, and play high res audio? Not trying to spend $1500 on a sound processor, but I want something capable of the best audio and I will pay what I have to pay.

I assume you are talking about DSP, no? Hi-res requires that all the components in the setup/chain (weakest link criteria) are also Hi-res too. What are you using for amplification?

I have used the Dayton HD unit and it is the better option from Dayton for it's application. I ended up getting more subs in the HT and ended up with the Dayton 4x8. I actually purchased the MiniDSP and returned it because I don't have an Apple mic'd product to use it with. You can use an iPhone with the mini and don't have to acquire an external mic, can't use an android phone/mic (or it isn't advised/supported) and you have to get an external mic. I'm thinking that you are going to need 6 channels out unless you are using the passives on the 3 ways?

I assume you are talking about DSP, no? Hi-res requires that all the components in the setup/chain (weakest link criteria) are also Hi-res too. What are you using for amplification?
I need some way to get the audio out of my iPad mini to play through my system. That plus the ability to do active 3 way xovers and a single or duel subs. My source will be high res from the iPad

Curious about you ipad mini capability?? Can you download an equalizer\SP application from the apple app store to get the sound you want?? You can adjust the cross-over on you amplifier if you are running a separate one for your subs. I'm not an expert in this area, but seems that you can accomplish what you want for far below the price you estimated. Good luck.

I have used the Dayton HD unit and it is the better option from Dayton for it's application. I ended up getting more subs in the HT and ended up with the Dayton 4x8. I actually purchased the MiniDSP and returned it because I don't have an Apple mic'd product to use it with. You can use an iPhone with the mini and don't have to acquire an external mic, can't use an android phone/mic (or it isn't advised/supported) and you have to get an external mic. I'm thinking that you are going to need 6 channels out unless you are using the passives on the 3 ways?

Would I not need some sort of pre amp or processor to get the signal to the amps? If I used a Dayton dsp unit would it attach to the iPad mini via lightening or usb cable then go from that to the amps?

Would I not need some sort of pre amp or processor to get the signal to the amps? If I used a Dayton dsp unit would it attach to the iPad mini via lightening or usb cable then go from that to the amps?
What ThxOne said. Additionally, here to report that the latest firmware from AudioContorl is great. No issues personally. Found this while hunting around yesterday:

Pretty darn good deal.

Last edited:
Since you want to stream hi-res, a DSP/amp with Bluetooth is the easiest option. Just keep in mind if you have 3 way components + sub that you need 8 channels out. If you think you might ever add rear fill/center/front sub then you will need something with 10 out.

Maybe you r asking the wrong question. How can I get the best sound from the mini to a 3 way set? Always use wired for sq, so says schiit. So what about fiio ka13 coax to rca cable run to the back. And then get schiit dac with 5v dc and add amp with quality xovers or get a dedicated xover.

Last edited:
I must have had a brain fart, but I realized a preamp is needed in the way I mentioned. So why is it that preamp is non trivial here? Anyway, there are products that can do wireless or remote volume control. Active x crossovers and DSP processors offer remote volume. Additionally home products running 12vdc and has a remote could be used. Here is something new that could help. https://www.ecoustics.com/products/fiio-ka17-k9-pro-skylight-edition/
There are headphones amps that run on 12vdc, like Aiyima T8, but the K9pro uses ac.
Wiim might be even better for iPad.
Amazon product ASIN B0CC2HWC7N

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...