Tuning Frequency for ported 15

Participant count
  • Participant list

bigbirney420
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Omaha, NE
I know this is open ended question. Looking to put Sundown SA15, AB XFL 15 or DC Level 3 15 in ported box in my Suburban getting about 1200 watts. I listen to Rap, Reggae and some metal. Looking for tuning range that will give me the flattest response while having some decent SQ. My other option would be a sealed 18, but I miss the ported box sound.

In an Suv low frequency extention or output will not be an issue.

I'd probably suggest the same 15 on that power but I think the first ssd with the copper coil would be a excellent choice as well.

Tuning is going to depend on box size and cabin gain.

If you want a flat response say down to 30hz. Generally 4 tuned to 30 works fine but tuning that low will limit output and the low-end will be louder.

It's all starting to come back to me. My Stereo Integrity 12's I had tuned to 32-33Hz, granted that was in a trunk. I have been out of the game for a while. I don't even recognize half of the brands anymore.

I know this is open ended question. Looking to put Sundown SA15, AB XFL 15 or DC Level 3 15 in ported box in my Suburban getting about 1200 watts. I listen to Rap, Reggae and some metal. Looking for tuning range that will give me the flattest response while having some decent SQ. My other option would be a sealed 18, but I miss the ported box sound.
u r looking at good stuff check out fu audio 750 and 1250 subs.. guy on here (in my town) has 1 dc level 4 15" with 4k rms hit 150, well now he has 2 12's..

XFL in a 1/4 wave T line box instead of ported because it'll handle everything from rap to metal loudly.
yeah tline way to go if u have room and can make box or have $ for one get up with cstang he can build it..

Money isn't really an issue. I don't want to take up too much room because I need to haul the tube and boat stuff, plus I use it as a pickup almost(3rd row is gone) If I was all about DB I would just do two 15 or 18 ported. I have grown out of SPL phase. Had a pair of DD 9512's, Owned AA Havocs, FI BTLs and an IA 40.1 in my Grand Prix, a few years back until it rattled apart. I just want some nice low end with decent SQ across the board. I love the sound of SA12 in my 4 runner off of 500 watts, but want a little more for the Suburban.

I looked at the FU 1250, and it has my attention

Money isn't really an issue. I don't want to take up too much room because I need to haul the tube and boat stuff, plus I use it as a pickup almost(3rd row is gone) If I was all about DB I would just do two 15 or 18 ported. I have grown out of SPL phase. Had a pair of DD 9512's, Owned AA Havocs, FI BTLs and an IA 40.1 in my Grand Prix, a few years back until it rattled apart. I just want some nice low end with decent SQ across the board. I love the sound of SA12 in my 4 runner off of 500 watts, but want a little more for the Suburban.
if you want something unique let me know. its been a while since i designed something for somebody. i like doing it. i have programs to analyze the driver so i can build it for your application and test them and give you parameters for them as well. if you want something that simply sounds good Id recommend a transmission line fully stuffed.Id probably do something like FI's Q series woofer if you want something market..

[quote name='bigbirney420']Money isn't really an issue. I don't want to take up too much room because I need to haul the tube and boat stuff, plus I use it as a pickup almost(3rd row is gone) If I was all about DB I would just do two 15 or 18 ported. I have grown out of SPL phase. Had a pair of DD 9512's, Owned AA Havocs, FI BTLs and an IA 40.1 in my Grand Prix, a few years back until it rattled apart. I just want some nice low end with decent SQ across the board. I love the sound of SA12 in my 4 runner off of 500 watts, but want a little more for the Suburban.

I looked at the FU 1250, and it has my attention[/QUOTE]

as said before ported wont give you that SQ. A 1/4 wave Transmission line box will have better sound quality than a sealed box and the output and low end impact of a ported while being very efficient as in only needing a few hundred watts to get loud. Flatter and wide range of frequencies while having tight controlled accuracy. With the XFLs in a T line box, @CSCStang was hitting 17hz to 70hz strong and flat. Rock, metal, rebassed music, funk, reggae, rap, edm all sounded amazing in that box.

#1 i have 04 grand prix gtp.. #2 that sa will take lots more power., u can get 1 of those and run 1200 to it.. but if u want 3" coil plenty of those,, and the 1250 ain't no joke man it's good sub but just lots of options these days, xfl has tons of fans.. http://www.caraudiobargain.com/new-cab-ultra-12-12-750w-subwoofer/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.