Two Parallel DSPs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

GoldCountryCA

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hello,

Currently putting together a system consisting of three way components in front, coaxials in rear doors and two subs. HU is a Kenwood DNR1008RVS with time alignment, DSP, drive EQ, etc. built in. I’d planned to run an Alpine 6 channel DSP for the front three ways, band pass and turn the rear coaxials way down, and run the subs with low pass filter on the 1800w kicker amp.

I was wondering… in order to give the tuner maximum flexibility I should have a 10 channel DSP. Not a ton of decent priced options out there. The audiocontrol dm-810 is cheap enough, but gets spotty reviews.

For about the same money, I could run 2 alpine 6 channel DSPs. Any issue with this approach? Signal to DSP for the front stage will be from one set of amp out RCAs on the HU. The other DSP will get signal from rear RCAs and sub RCAs off the HU.

I have the DM810 and the reviews are largely aimed at previous software versions and a buggy version release that has lng been updated and from what I hear, a thing of the past. Still learning the GUI, have profesional friends assisting with the tuning but all and all, great unit and software works fine, not buggy like previous revisions. Just follow the directions if you get it regarding the software updates, etc. and you should be fine. I think that has great customer support too. I would have loved to get the Helix pro mk II or III? but the cost was just prohibitive. I figured any of them was going to require a bit of mental investment, now that I've started down that path, no turning back! I like that with the remote I can adjust for different listening situations. Save single, double or whole car listening options depending on if I'm driving alone or not. In the process of changing out a an amplifier, and speakers, get to dive into it all over again, yippee!

It's a love hate relationship for sure!

$599

MiniDSP

$700

Last edited:
I’m thinking of going with the JL Audio TWK 88 due to the fact that the shop who’ll tune the system prefers JL’s software.
That is a HUGE consideration. When I sourced my DM810, cost compared to the Heliox was first, then, and nearly as important, was how much was I going to learn in the interim and what kind of support could I expect locally. My friend/audio shop owner, locally, had AudioControl, their tuner, so inclined too - kind of made that choice a little easier. My goal is to learn how to do this so that i can be proficient in about 5 years and supplement by retirement with something that i enjoy doing. I'm in for the long haul for sure. I think it's learning the process that is the most important thing, then the differences in the various software GUI's used will be less of a distraction/deterrent, that is the goal. They'll probably get autotuning to the point where that might not workout either, my luck right?

;)

That is a HUGE consideration. When I sourced my DM810, cost compared to the Heliox was first, then, and nearly as important, was how much was I going to learn in the interim and what kind of support could I expect locally. My friend/audio shop owner, locally, had AudioControl, their tuner, so inclined too - kind of made that choice a little easier. My goal is to learn how to do this so that i can be proficient in about 5 years and supplement by retirement with something that i enjoy doing. I'm in for the long haul for sure. I think it's learning the process that is the most important thing, then the differences in the various software GUI's used will be less of a distraction/deterrent, that is the goal. They'll probably get autotuning to the point where that might not workout either, my luck right?

;)
I just posted in my build thread this conundrum. 8 channel Helix and JL are only a couple hundred apart, JL being cheaper. The helix is said to have better internals, but the JL easier software. I’m still on the fence.

I’m headed to a shop that has both in stock today. This shop kind of scoffed at my speaker choice from CDT, so I’m going to pick their brain a bit…

I just posted in my build thread this conundrum. 8 channel Helix and JL are only a couple hundred apart, JL being cheaper. The helix is said to have better internals, but the JL easier software. I’m still on the fence.

I’m headed to a shop that has both in stock today. This shop kind of scoffed at my speaker choice from CDT, so I’m going to pick their brain a bit…
Well, they don't sell the CDTs so there is that... I sold electronics (audio) years ago, in a very hi-end environment. one of the emphasis they put on their selling reputation was to NEVER disparage something they did not carry. It's a big turn-off when shops do that, it insults the buyers intelligence and preferences. Tell me what you like and why, let me make the choice. If I walk into a local shop with my 40 years of music and audio background and you start trying to poo-poo my taste, I turn around and walk back out or stay and humiliate you with vast amounts of technical knowledge that you hadn't a clue I knew or that you know for that matter or expected. But I get it, they don't sell it - SO SELL ME ON WHAT YOU HAVE! Lol, it's always fun when I get the bug to look around at what is currently in the local shops, the smart guys listen, the others just blab!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...