500$ budget for new amp and sub

I'd get JBL W12GTI and spend the rest on an amp or save up for Boston GTA-1000m or PPI P1000.1.

Anything with 500wrms at 3ohms should be plenty for that sub, and SQ wise it's been regarded as a level higher than Daytons, IDQ, etc.

Don't buy an MB Quart ONX1 amp. Any company that tries to save a few pennies resulting in pre-amp section that requires mono inputs on both input on both RCA input plugs because it can't sum stereo channels is not worth your attention.

Well I have plenty of space so all your suggestions help a lot. I can't exceed 500$ though, maybe by a few bucks lol. So far nobody has suggested kicker, or alpine type r are they overrated? I've heard only good things about them apart from kicker's lacking sq which I don't particularly care about.

For the decent Kicker and Alpine subwoofers the quality/price ratio just isn't comparable to say SSA, Sundown, DC, AQ, IA, and etc.. Just would be so much better to get the good stuff at around the same price as Kicker or Alpine. Even if you are paying more would be worth the money to invest in the higher quality brands. Just an FYI the SA 15 I told you about is basically brand new. Not a whole lot of use and only reason for selling is due to that no insurance ticket I recently got. The suspension is still very stiff as well. I only was putting about 200 wrms to it in one of my boxes and it actually got pretty dang loud. My Explorer was slightly flexing in certain areas and drink in the cup holder would move. A pretty impressive sub really, did that only off of 200 wrms and could easily take much much more. Also besides it being loud it had really great SQ a long with it.

I will definitely look into that as it would pretty much be a perfect sub for me. I'm not paying my dad is so I'd have to ask him but if you can ship it to me I'd say I will likely buy it as long as its in great condition. Why is it a 9/10 for cosmetics and not 10?

Your enclosure will make a huge difference. Is there a reason why you can not build your own?

If you go sealed prefabs are "ok" but that is about it. If you go ported then custom is required. If you want anything other then average sound custom is required.

The enclosure is the back bone of the sub stage.

I will definitely look into that as it would pretty much be a perfect sub for me. I'm not paying my dad is so I'd have to ask him but if you can ship it to me I'd say I will likely buy it as long as its in great condition. Why is it a 9/10 for cosmetics and not 10?
Ok, I will ship right to your PayPal address (or your dads whatever address shows up on PayPal you give). I only do PayPal and would send an invoice to the PayPal you use. And tracking and insurance will be included in the price I quoted you shipped. PayPal is very safe as long as you don't do gift, which I don't do anyways. Never do that for future reference. I always make up an invoice with info of condition and item details along with shipping details. I have 100% feedback as well and can check out my feedback on here. To answer you question about why I listed 9/10 cosmetic is because it has been used and are a couple minor scratches on the basket but once in box sub looks mint. Nothing major at all just didn't want to put 10/10 when it has be screwed in a box before.

Ok, I will ship right to your PayPal address (or your dads whatever address shows up on PayPal you give). I only do PayPal and would send an invoice to the PayPal you use. And tracking and insurance will be included in the price I quoted you shipped. PayPal is very safe as long as you don't do gift, which I don't do anyways. Never do that for future reference. I always make up an invoice with info of condition and item details along with shipping details. I have 100% feedback as well and can check out my feedback on here. To answer you question about why I listed 9/10 cosmetic is because it has been used and are a couple minor scratches on the basket but once in box sub looks mint. Nothing major at all just didn't want to put 10/10 when it has be screwed in a box before.
Give me like a week there's a pretty good chance I will buy it. Is it dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm? What is the rms rating?

I'd definitely snag that SA-15. $150 shipped is a great price for it, as they are probably at least $250 with shipping brand new, and this one's just hardly broken in. I feed 1200w to my single SA-10, so I know that SA-15 can take at least that. It's a Dual 4 ohm voice coil, so you'll want to find something that does the target power at 2 ohms. This Kicker for instance would be exceptionally ideal: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/529081-kicker-06zx1000-1-mono-amp.html

Then you're out $340, and you have plenty of money left over for an amplifier wiring kit (4 gauge amplifier installation kit), and a proper ported enclosure. If you wanna go sealed, a pre-fab would be ok. But you'd get a lot more output out of ported, and going ported, it's gotta be custom designed and built per driver specs and user application.

Nothing wrong with the Kicker or Alpine products, there is just much better out there at or around the same cost. Kicker's amps are great if you can find em at a good price, like the one I linked above.

Price correction I'm selling the SA-15 for $150 + shipping not $150 shipped, but I gave him a better quote deal shipped to his zip code area at $165 shipped for him. This includes tracking and insurance as well as the shipping which is still a great price!

I need to set up a PayPal and figure out how this site works and ask my dad about the sub.

I really need to figure out how I am going to get a box. Ultimate Audio is near me but they charge a fortune for custom boxes, like 200$. Would a sealed prefab really be that bad if it was big enough? Also wouldn't 1000 rms put some serious stress on my stock electrical?

A prefab sealed enclosure can work. There are a few things you need to be sure of and do when/if you go that direction.

Ensure the enclosure has proper volume after sub displacement for the driver you choose.(you also need to ensure that you selected a driver that performs well in a sealed enclosure)

Go back over all interanel edges of the enclosure with some sort of sealant of your choice to ensure it is sealed.

Also, ensure the enclosure is constructed out of decent material and not just cheap wood/glue.

If you have a shop that charges $200 for a custom enclosure that is not all that bad. The issue lies with the employee that would design/build that enclosure. If you go custom you need to ensure that you are getting what you actually paid for and not something tossed together or even the ol' pay for a custom and get a prefab situation I have seen companies pull over the years.

I'd definitely snag that SA-15. $150 shipped is a great price for it, as they are probably at least $250 with shipping brand new, and this one's just hardly broken in. I feed 1200w to my single SA-10, so I know that SA-15 can take at least that. It's a Dual 4 ohm voice coil, so you'll want to find something that does the target power at 2 ohms. This Kicker for instance would be exceptionally ideal: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/529081-kicker-06zx1000-1-mono-amp.htmlThen you're out $340, and you have plenty of money left over for an amplifier wiring kit (4 gauge amplifier installation kit), and a proper ported enclosure. If you wanna go sealed, a pre-fab would be ok. But you'd get a lot more output out of ported, and going ported, it's gotta be custom designed and built per driver specs and user application.

Nothing wrong with the Kicker or Alpine products, there is just much better out there at or around the same cost. Kicker's amps are great if you can find em at a good price, like the one I linked above.
Great advice in this post.

I'll just add that donny is a great seller and that sa15 looks like a very good deal for the price.

^ And pro-rabbit is the man to talk to. He also designs and builds custom enclosures shipped world-wide at very reasonable price, I wouldn't be surprised if his prices beat your local shops, and I'm sure the quality would.

Unfortunately the SA series of subs aren't known to be optimal in a sealed box, though it will work, it'd just be much better ported. And as was said before, if you go sealed, make sure to double seal it up, and be sure it's made of 3/4" MDF.

Also wouldn't 1000 rms put some serious stress on my stock electrical?
You should be fine, every car is different though. I have my cruddy OEM battery and 70a alt and I'm powering 1500w total no problem. the only after-market electrical I have done is the Big 3 upgrade, which you should be doing anyways, and tends to cost between $20-$45. So at 1,000w you should be ok especially with a big 3 upgrade. Maybe if your battery is really old you'll need a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.