dampening recommendations

chawski
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I recently upgraded my door speakers with components and im getting a fair bit of rattling from the door panel. The actual metal door is covered in elemental design's stuff and has worked really well, but Im looking for a recommendation for something relatively cheap to put on the inside of the plastic panel to cut down on the rattling.

Do they all pretty much work the same, or are some brands better for plastic vs metal? I really like the elemental designs stuff, but since they went out of business up a few years ago, that takes them out of the picture.

Since you can order exactly as many CLD Tiles as you want, Sound Deadener Showdown is the best value. In a recent comprehesive sound deadener test this product came out near the top, tied for 1st in effectiveness I believe. The downside is you have to e-mail the company to place an order. Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown
They still cost an arm and a leg per square foot.. Your paying AT BEST 2.25 for a .41sq ft, so basically $5.50 per square foot that's ordering 40 and it only gets worse from there, as in over $6.00 per foot if your not getting it in bulk. For cost effectiveness and still getting quality, I prefer RAAMMAT, you can cut it down to a 6x10 tile and be ahead quite a bit of money, it's $3.00 per square foot and def a quality product. Still love what SDS has done for the market on the whole and the products they sell are top notch.

They still cost an arm and a leg per square foot.. Your paying AT BEST 2.25 for a .41sq ft, so basically $5.50 per square foot that's ordering 40 and it only gets worse from there, as in over $6.00 per foot if your not getting it in bulk. For cost effectiveness and still getting quality, I prefer RAAMMAT, you can cut it down to a 6x10 tile and be ahead quite a bit of money, it's $3.00 per square foot and def a quality product. Still love what SDS has done for the market on the whole and the products they sell are top notch.
You don't do 100% coverage with SDS Tiles. Period. They're more effective at damping panels than 99% of products on the market that make wild claims about blocking outside noise or keeping your interior cooler in the summer and warmer during winter.

I know you're a knowledgeable person so I have to assume you haven't seen the vibration damper comparison test on DIYMA. I'll post a link later if you need it.

Go down to home depot and get a few cases of ALEX Plus caulking and fill everything between metal and panels. There's a guy locally with a mid-150's build that did there's not a rattle to be heard in his interior.

You don't do 100% coverage with SDS Tiles. Period. They're more effective at damping panels than 99% of products on the market that make wild claims about blocking outside noise or keeping your interior cooler in the summer and warmer during winter.
I know you're a knowledgeable person so I have to assume you haven't seen the vibration damper comparison test on DIYMA. I'll post a link later if you need it.
That's why i said I appreciate what he did for the industry.. he advocates less than 100% coverage and using the correct products for the job.. Dons philosophy and scientific approach to deadener was a breathe of fresh air for that industry.. still doesn't change the fact that a 6x10 square of Sds costs 2x what other companies charge, even if some still advocate 100 coverage lol. Anyways no I havent seen thag comparison, so please do link.

I like SDS, its actually another deadener brand I won't name I dislike, also why I stopped going on diyma years ago, due to certain influences ruining the diy intellectual spirit the forum was founded on by NPDANG.. that should say more than enough for you to know who and what i mean lol

Knu Kolossus performed very well in the test for its price, but it's very heavy, too. SDS CLD tiles and Knu Kolossus performed very similarly, as did STP Atlantic Gold. RAAMmat and Second skin performed surprisingly poorly

The test also showed similar vibration reductions from 25% to 100% coverage as from 0% to 25%. 25% will dampen a lot of vibrations, but 100% coverage reduces vibrations even more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.