Hi SQ 10 recommendations

GoldCountryCA

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hello,

I’m looking to replace my center console on a 4 door ram pickup with a sealed sub enclosure. Looking to put a JL10w7ae-3 in there, but my buddy says they are overpriced. I value SQ over other aspects.

Other equipment I’m looking at for a complete system:

Polk Audio DB6502 (front doors)
Polk Audio DB652 (rear doors)
5 channel Amp—Sony XM-5ES (will put out roughly 600w at 3ohm & 100w for the Polk Audio 6.5s)

Any recommendations on the sub? Also curious if other equipment selected is not a great choice.

Thanks!

Adire Koda 10" or Brahma. (take a look at the 12" too). XBL motors have a similar flat BL curve to the w7 subs. The Brahma's will have similar throw to the w7.

Hello,

I’m looking to replace my center console on a 4 door ram pickup with a sealed sub enclosure. Looking to put a JL10w7ae-3 in there, but my buddy says they are overpriced. I value SQ over other aspects.

5 channel Amp—Sony XM-5ES (will put out roughly 600w at 3ohm & 100w for the Polk Audio 6.5s)

Any recommendations on the sub? Also curious if other equipment selected is not a great choice.

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks!
That's a lot of money for a sub. Why not stick to the Polk brand. I had a 10" in a Mustang several years ago and it worked fine. Have you considered a 8"? Polk makes some good equipment. Also go to Crutchfield.com to look at reviews on subs.

Last edited:
Adire Koda 10" or Brahma. (take a look at the 12" too). XBL motors have a similar flat BL curve to the w7 subs. The Brahma's will have similar throw to the w7.

Would you rate this sub as being better than the W7?

That's a lot of money for a sub. Why not stick to the Polk brand. I had a 10" in a Mustang several years ago and it worked fine. Have you considered a 8"? Polk makes some good equipment. Also go to Crutchfield.com to look at reviews on subs.
I have looked at an 8”, specifically the JL8w7.
I’m thinking buy once cry once. I like the rebuildable aspect of the w7 and Made in America is a bonus too!

I think I messed up the wording of my original post. I’m not super concerned with the price of the w7. More curious if something has better SQ with decent output.

My buddy made me second guess my decision, but more in the line of thinking, “What else is out there for $1000 higher SQ sub?”

I too think the Adire Brahma is a better sub than the w7. It sounds cleaner and "drier." Keep in mind because of the way the w7 is constructed, the 12" Brahma is more comparable to the 10" w7, etc.

School me on the paper vs polypropylene cone.

I left a message with Adire. The website is light on certain details like airspace requirements, throw, etc. unless I’m missing those details on the spec sheet. Xmax one way may be throw (28mm)? Can you tell I’m a neophyte?

I’m thinking of firing the sub down so no one in the back seat kicks a hole in it. Need to know how high to have the box off the ground, etc.

Paper/fiber, pressed/unpressed cellulose or paper/glass fiber sandwich cones are used quite a bit in top of the line subwoofers manufacturers. It's light, it's stiff and provides a great balance between stiffness and weight. At the end of the day in high end subs, they have a specific goal in mind, usually at those price points, it's all about which material meets that objective. polypropylene is less expensive ands it too is usually impregnated with fibers ot mica, something other than the plastic to stifin things up. It's a less expensive material and is easy to shape. Some general info.

Last edited:
School me on the paper vs polypropylene cone.

I left a message with Adire. The website is light on certain details like airspace requirements, throw, etc. unless I’m missing those details on the spec sheet. Xmax one way may be throw (28mm)? Can you tell I’m a neophyte?

I’m thinking of firing the sub down so no one in the back seat kicks a hole in it. Need to know how high to have the box off the ground, etc.
xmax = throw. Adire recommends .6-.75cuft sealed for the 10" Brahma. With 600wrms, I'd probably go .75cuft with ~.75 lbs of polyfil.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...