Hi SQ 10 recommendations

Specs indicate that the 10 should have a much smaller enclosure. Sealed, I'd go ~.5cuft for the 10 and ~1-1.5cuft for the 12. The ES subs have very limited throw, so don't expect them to get loud. Personally, I'd look at the Dayton Reference of the ES subs - they sound great, aren't very deep and have more throw.
Not according to Sony. The 10 needs a larger enclosure.

The Sony manuals state 1.01cf for the 10”
IMG_9860.png

…and .84cf for the 12”
IMG_9859.png

Specs indicate that the 10 should have a much smaller enclosure. Sealed, I'd go ~.5cuft for the 10 and ~1-1.5cuft for the 12. The ES subs have very limited throw, so don't expect them to get loud. Personally, I'd look at the Dayton Reference of the ES subs - they sound great, aren't very deep and have more throw.
I just looked at the daytons. They all seem to have a pretty large throw and talk about “power”. Will they be geared towards SQL? I’m thinking I’d like the subs to disappear into the system. Don’t want them to stand out too much. The more I think about it, the more I’d sacrifice output to maximize SQ.

Which Daytons would you recommend? One amp I’m looking at is 750w at 2ohms and the other is 1000w at 2 ohms or 600 at 4 ohms. Any of the Daytons SQ focused that’ll run cleanly on either of those two amps?

I just looked at the daytons. They all seem to have a pretty large throw and talk about “power”. Will they be geared towards SQL? I’m thinking I’d like the subs to disappear into the system. Don’t want them to stand out too much. The more I think about it, the more I’d sacrifice output to maximize SQ.

Which Daytons would you recommend? One amp I’m looking at is 750w at 2ohms and the other is 1000w at 2 ohms or 600 at 4 ohms. Any of the Daytons SQ focused that’ll run cleanly on either of those two amps?
The Daytons will disappear into a system. So will the Adire Kodas and Brahma.

Dayton Audio RSS315HE-22​

I heard 2 of them sealed on 1.5k at the shop and they sounded very nice. You'd have to run it at 4 or 1 ohm but on 600-1000 it'd definitely blend in cleanly

If cost isn’t a consideration, would the Brahma mk2.5 or Dayton reference be preferred?

I had $4k in mind as a cap for HU, amps, components, and subs. Wiring and other ancillary items not included.

If cost isn’t a consideration, would the Brahma mk2.5 or Dayton reference be preferred?

I had $4k in mind as a cap for HU, amps, components, and subs. Wiring and other ancillary items not included.
I'd go Brahma, Koda, Dayton reference in that order. Do keep in mind you have to power the Brahma so it's not just the cost of the sub, but a potential alternator upgrade and you'll need 0awg wiring to the amps. OTOH, the Adire Koda only needs 250wrms. They're all available at Parts Express, which is a bonus.

The 10" Brahma has enough throw that can outpace most front stages, but because of the nature of XBL motors, it doesn't tend to draw alot of attention. I had numerous people over the years surprised to find out I had a subwoofer - alot of that is due to tuning and sound deadening too.

I'd go Brahma, Koda, Dayton reference in that order. Do keep in mind you have to power the Brahma so it's not just the cost of the sub, but a potential alternator upgrade and you'll need 0awg wiring to the amps. OTOH, the Adire Koda only needs 250wrms. They're all available at Parts Express, which is a bonus.

The 10" Brahma has enough throw that can outpace most front stages, but because of the nature of XBL motors, it doesn't tend to draw alot of attention. I had numerous people over the years surprised to find out I had a subwoofer - alot of that is due to tuning and sound deadening too.
I definitely need to address sound deadening. I researched that a bit last night.

I already fortified the truck’s electrical system. It has a 370 amp Mechman alternator and 3/0 throughout. There’s a 3/0 to a junction on the firewall that’s waiting for future loads. I rewired a good portion of everything under the hood last spring.
IMG_7680.jpeg

IMG_8589.jpeg

Is there a consensus from the sq guys on these speakers?

The 10% off has me rethinking everything!

Last edited:
Just read through another 15 pages of threads… my head is spinning. Only thing I’m fairly certain of is the Brahma sub. Going to start a different thread in an appropriate area for the rest of the build. Thanks all!

Here’s the follow up build thread:

THere really isn't any reason to look outside of CDt right now. There components are better and less money, I think, through the end of the year. The HD-62BE are much nicer and they are at $165, normally like $300. I like DS18 Korean amps, the Hooligan and the EXL lines, never considered them for speakers. Pretty hard to beat anything CDT is offering right now on special.

THere really isn't any reason to look outside of CDt right now. There components are better and less money, I think, through the end of the year. The HD-62BE are much nicer and they are at $165, normally like $300. I like DS18 Korean amps, the Hooligan and the EXL lines, never considered them for speakers. Pretty hard to beat anything CDT is offering right now on special.
I’m looking through CDTs catalog right now trying to digest it all. Don S. gave me a good amount to look at in my build thread.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...