How hard is it to install a car alarm?

675R
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Regular
US
I was thinking about the viper 3305v or the 3203v. With glass break sensor.

All I need is a good system, trunk pop, no remote start needed.

I can learn to solder, and use a multimeter. How hard is it? CarToys is outrageous. (250+).

Thanks for the help.

It's hard to do it quickly. There are soooooo many problems that you can run into. Without a lot of experience, you are screwed. I watch a guy install alarms every day and every alarm never wires up like it's supposed to. There are so many different types of issues you can run into.

It's hard to do it quickly. There are soooooo many problems that you can run into. Without a lot of experience, you are screwed. I watch a guy install alarms every day and every alarm never wires up like it's supposed to. There are so many different types of issues you can run into.
this ^ especially when you get into the models with window controls etc...

So I shouldn't try to attempt this? The one I'm looking at is just keyless entry and trunk release. It's all I really need.

Crutchfield doesn't sell everything. Not saying it does exist, but Crutchfield's word shouldn't be the end-all of that discussion.

Doesn't look terribly difficult for you car as long as panels are easy to remove (never been in a Galant so I don't know). Definitely practice your soldering and make sure you are 100% confident with your abilities before digging in. Do much more research also so you understand what's happening.

It's not the disassembly I'm worried about. Just the wiring, I can take the car apart fine.

Any websites that are helpful?

That car isn't too bad. You will need a relay to pop the trunk though, as its a positive trigger. If you're not familiar with relays and how to wire them, find someone to do the whole thing for you.

Its very EASY to probe a wrong wire and blow an airbag or kill a computer, esp when you don't know exactly what you're doing/looking at. And then theres longevity of install, problems down the line, etc

Id find someone to do it for you, find a local guy on craigslist or something

You don't necessarily need to solder. You can use t-taps if used PROPERLY, this includes stress relief on harnesses so they never get pulled off, and recognizing when a wire is too thick to use a T-Tap (in this case you could cut some of the shielding off but again, experience helps)

You could probably do this car without the trunk or, add a relay later. the door lock wires are in either kick. Let me know if you need a schem if you're going to try it anyways, give me your email and its yours

I'd much rather do it myself than some guy on Craigslist :p

But true, I don't really know what I'm talking about with wires and relays (I do headlight relays but that's).

I don't think solderings that hard, well doesn't look that hard. I just need to get the right wires haha.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.