Hi SQ 10 recommendations

ANYONE, who calls this sub junk, doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground. I bet his "1000" watt amplifier was actually a 1000 watt "MAX POWER" amplifier that he clipped until it melted taking the sub out with it. I heard a guy in Lake Havasu City that ran 2 of these in a Cadillac XT5, Elate Carbons, HELIX Pro DSP, Si Amps, it was simply stunning, no breathtaking SQL.

Good read:

Last edited:
Okay, current game-plan:

-2 pairs of these “braxials”

-(edit) Amp for the braxials

-sub kit

Opinions?

Last edited:
You've done your homework, it's great setup. Those Si subs are really good too. CTD at the current prices, very nice. The Brahma gets rave reviews and I have heard them too, they are solid. The Morel is a different cat, pretty specialized, not for everyone's listening pleasure and the are muey $$$!

The Si and the Adire are both excellent choices so it comes down to what each will do depending on what amplifier you end up with.

You've done your homework, it's great setup. Those Si subs are really good too. CTD at the current prices, very nice. The Brahma gets rave reviews and I have heard them too, they are solid. The Morel is a different cat, pretty specialized, not for everyone's listening pleasure and the are muey $$$!

The Si and the Adire are both excellent choices so it comes down to what each will do depending on what amplifier you end up with.
Thanks for letting me pick your brain and bounce ideas off you. You’ve been very helpful!

Sql's are very nice sounding subs with the ability to get down in a small box. I got 2 of the 15's in my ride and I love them
I was planning to call SI to check availability. They are shown as pre-order for the 10s and back order for the other sizes.

The sub/amp/box combo seemed like a nice setup for an okay deal from Adire. I’m sure I could piece something together and save a couple bucks. The dimensions of that mono amp are pretty big though…

I definitely need to give some consideration to how and where I aim the sub. I’ve read cons to every idea I’ve had so far. Firing down or up would work the best from a packaging perspective with the sub in a center console box.

Down I could use spacers a bit thicker than max excursion and upholster the top. Up I could used spacers between the box and upholstered arm rest and get an elbow massage…

Okay, current game-plan:

-2 pairs of these “braxials”

-(edit) Amp for the braxials

-sub kit

Opinions?
1100$ is a pretty good deal on the Adire package. Such a nice subwoofer. Colossal Sounds Extreme 10 is essentially the same sub as the Adire Audio 10KH501D2. Not quite the same quality as the Brahma, but the colossal sounds is 60$ cheaper than Adire for the same sub. Lower power handling though.

I think you'll be happy with the Brahma. I have an old 10 Brahma Mk1 (the original Brahma) from ~20+ years ago. Great sub. The one downside to the Brahma's is they do tend to reveal clipping within the recording, which can be annoying. For example, Incognito's Who Needs Love CD is intolerable with the Brahma. The clipping is barely audible in some earphones too, but it's really annoying with the Brahma.

I think you'll be happy with the Brahma. I have an old 10 Brahma Mk1 (the original Brahma) from ~20+ years ago. Great sub. The one downside to the Brahma's is they do tend to reveal clipping within the recording, which can be annoying. For example, Incognito's Who Needs Love CD is intolerable with the Brahma. The clipping is barely audible in some earphones too, but it's really annoying with the Brahma.
Does it have a metal on metal rattling sound when it clips?

Does it have a metal on metal rattling sound when it clips?
I wouldn't say metal on metal on rattling, maybe plastic or wood rattling. I don't know exactly how I'd describe, just distorted, not clean, kinda had a "sharp" sound to it; really obvious when you hear it. Came on really sudden too. It would sound clean at lower volumes and then add another 2-3db and it was really obvious and intolerable. Didn't sound like when you clip an amp.

Dan Wiggins actually helped me troubleshoot it. It's very rare and is audible at ~3-4 out of 10 on the volume control. Since it was happening at lower volumes that eliminated clipping from gain structure or EQ settings (and I generally only cut frequencies when tuning an EQ). The enclosure was as airtight as an enclosure can get: Fiberglass with ~1/2 gallon of latex roofing sealant dumped it and I used silicon to seal the sub to the baffle.

Only happened on a few CDs, the Incognito CD I mentioned being the big offender and it's audible on a good set of IEM's too. Funny thing is listening to Incognito, you wouldn't really expect their music to have clipped bass signals.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...